chapter 24 - flashback

KATERINA SOLDANO

3 years ago...

"Kat... Hurry up for fucks sake. I've been waiting for ages."

"Calm down, Gabe.... I'm coming down right now... Anyways, technically it's your fault for not telling me where we're going," I say, taking a final look in the mirror.

"Yeah, sure. Just get in the car."

He was on edge that day. I never noticed it until it was too late.

We took a 30 minute coastal drive and stopped by the beach.

"Really? You seriously couldn't have told me we were going to the beach?" I complained while pulling my heels off.

"I wanted it to be a surprise," he said with a small smile, "It's been a while since it was just us two hanging out."

He patted a spot on the sand next to him, motioning me to sit down. We sat in silence, watching the waves crash into each other.

"It's so peaceful today. You know, I always come here just to think. Dad used to always take me here when I was younger. I feel close to him whenever I come here. It reminds me of old times when life was so much more... fulfilling," he said, staring off into the distance.

"It really is beautiful today."

"Dad was a big softie and he loved our family... I wonder if he'd be proud of who I am now. God, I miss him so much. I don't think we've ever really spoken about him but there are times I just want to die so I can see him again."

I turn my head in concern while tears form in his eyes.

"Of course he'd be proud of who you are. You've been the best son, cousin and friend. I wouldn't know half the things I know if it weren't for you. Gabe... you're one of the people I trust most in this world."

He stared at me while a single tear fell down his cheek. His phone beeped and his brows furrowed as he looked at the message.

"We should get going... I'll wait for you in the car."

I spent a few more minutes watching the waves crash into each other before turning and walking back to the car.

He was distracted that day. Something else was on his mind especially since he was talking about his father. The signs were there... why didn't I pick up on them sooner?

"Where are we going now?" I asked.

"I need to meet someone before we go home. You can stay in the car."

We arrived at a dirty, old warehouse that clearly was in ruins. The steel walls rusted from weathering over decades and the windows cracked probably from teenagers lurking.

"Kat? I need to tell you something."

"What is it?"

"You're my best friend and the person I trust most in this world. I'm so sorry if I ever hurt you and I want you to live life to the fullest. Ok?"

"Gabriel... Why are you telling me this right now?"

"Stay in the car ok?"

"Fine but be quick."

"You know it," he said with a smile.

I did as instructed and stayed in the car while Gabriel left. After 10 minutes he wasn't back and my curiosity got the best of me so I decided to look for him. I cautiously stepped over the fragments of broken glass and steel and followed the voice which was echoing around the building.