chapter 18 - the ballet

KATERINA SOLDANO

We ate in uncomfortable silence until Madelyn said this, "Dante, would you like to accompany me to the Bahamas? It's the same time as Paris Fashion Week so you'd have to miss seeing Katerina walking down the catwalk," she said smirking at me and taking his hand.

"I'll pass," he said removing his hand from Madelyn's grasp. She sulked as she quickly put her hands down into her lap and looked down.

"I hope Kellan will be there. You two always look amazing finishing the show together," Cela said with a gleam in her eye.

"Kellan Larsson?" Madelyn asked meekly.

"That's the one. He went to my boarding school when we were younger and we became close friends. My mother scouted him when he was 12 and he's been in almost every show since he turned 17. We often close the runway lineup together," I replied.

Our food came soon after as we entered another period of awkward silence. Soon it was time to leave and Celeste and I jumped at the chance.

"We should probably get going... I have a busy day tomorrow," Cela said rising from her seat.

"I'll see you tomorrow evening," I said nodding to Dante.

We left and went straight home. Celeste decided to get an early nights sleep while I stayed up a little while longer. I changed into something a little easier to move in and grabbed my phone and keys.

I took hold of Athena and Ares' leads and together we walked along the Seine. It was peaceful with only a few people around at this time. The city was still shining brightly from the lamps spread across the river. Although it was only 10PM, I could see young couples and families only just finishing dinner.

I hummed softly while I made my way back but was interrupted by the sound of arguing. I halted and stopped a few steps behind the alleyway where I caught a look at 3 men and a young girl.

"S'il vous plaît, je ne sais pas ce que j'ai fait... si c'est de l'argent que vous voulez, je l'aurai. Je promets. S'il te plait, ne me touche pas," the young girl whimpered. She looked like she was only 18.
(Please, I don't know what I did... if it's money you want, I'll get it. I promise. Just please don't touch me.)

"Je suis désolé chérie mais ce n'est pas assez bien. Ton frère a foutu en l'air donc tu devras en payer le prix. Maintenant sois une bonne fille et écoute-nous," one of the men said.
(I'm sorry darling but that's not good enough. Your brother fucked up big time so you'll have to pay the price. Now be a good girl and listen to us.)

I have never felt an anger more raw than what I felt then. I remember feeling powerless like the girl. It's something I wouldn't wish on any woman. I walked forward and yelled at them.

"Oi bâtard! Qu'est-ce que tu fais?," I yelled.
(Oi bastard! What are you doing?)

All three men started to run towards me but that's when I yelled 'Attack' and my dogs went after 2 of the men. The third one lunged for me and brought out a knife. He sliced my cheek and threw me off guard. Immediately I pulled out my knife and stabbed him in the back swiftly. My cheek was burning as blood dripped into my mouth. Athena and Ares had finished off the other two as I walked over to the girl.

"Ça va?," I asked her.
(Are you ok?)

She just nodded while trembling.

"M-Merci. Merci b-beaucoup,"
(T-Thank you. Thank you s-so much.)