chapter 31 - christmas

(3 months had passed since the hospital)

DANTE MORALES

"Merry Christmas!"

"Merry Christmas Aria," I grumbled getting up. Leave it to my baby sister to wake me up at the crack of dawn.

"So... What did you get Kat?" Aria said in a light hearted mood.

"Something special."

"Ok thanks for telling me what you got her," she huffed, "Don't forget to-"

"To come to Leon's house for lunch, I know. It's hard to forget when you keep reminding me."

"Alright, well go surprise her. I'll see you in a few hours."

I freshened up and walked to Katerina's door which was already ajar.

"What do you want?" she said coming out of the walk in robe, already dressed for the lunch.

"Merry Christmas to you too. I have a present," I said walking in, "Close your eyes."

She just furrowed her brows.

"Please."

She reluctantly closed them and put her hand out. I took her hand and placed my gift on her palm, closing her fingers.

She opened her eyes and took a look.

"A USB?"

"I know you don't believe me but just look through the files saved on this. This is the proof. I'll leave you for a bit," I said taking a few steps back.

I closed the door behind me praying that Katerina would understand.

KATERINA SOLDANO

15 minutes had passed since Dante left. I stared at the USB laying on my desk. I hadn't plugged it in yet. To be completely honest, I was scared. My life as I know it would change if Dante was telling the truth. I was sweating even thinking about it. Surely Dante was lying. I knew my cousin, he could never do that to me.

Eventually I couldn't take it anymore. I quickly plugged the USB in and browsed through the folders. Recordings, Bank Statements, Witnesses. I decided to go through the recordings first. 40 videos quickly loaded as I clicked the first one.

"Dante, finally I get to meet you," Gabriel exclaimed walking in.

"Make it quick. Why have you called a meeting?"

"I want to form an alliance. My partner and I are currently planning to overtake the French Mafia. We can help each other-"

"Stop. You're trying to take your mafia from your cousin? Why?"

"She's a kid. She doesn't know how to run a mafia."

"Who's your partner?" Dante asked.

"Natalie Sharpe, my girlfriend."

"What do you need me for?"

"We need around $10 million from you to make this happen. In return once we succeed, you will have a cut from the profits."

"What if Katerina finds out?"

"She won't. I'll make sure of it."

"I'll have to think about it."

"Of course, thank you. I'll see myself out."

I felt my heart slowly drop as the video went on. I clicked on the bank statements hoping to be proven wrong. Transactions in the millions were made between Natalie and Gabriel multiple times.