chapter 27 - the birthday

KATERINA SOLDANO

The week dragged on slowly as I did my best not to see Dante. With all the talk of Gabriel being a traitor, I hate to say this but he planted a seed of doubt against my own blood.

That can't be right... This is Dante Morales who told you this. Don't believe him. He's lying to you. Gabriel would never have done anything to hurt you. Dante is talking about the same Gabriel who punched a kid when he was 12 because they pushed you off a swing. This is the Gabriel who taught you how to play tennis and would spend his days painting the garden. Gabriel Blanchet was your cousin who you saw being murdered in cold blood by the man you are now married to.

You cannot let Dante confuse you.

"Hey Kat, it's Gabriel, I don't think I'll be able to make it on the 26th. I've got another commitment. Hope all goes well though. Can't wait to see the pictures."

"Hello? Where are you? I'm not even kidding, I've been looking for 5 minutes straight. Did we really have to pick Disneyland? I'm standing right outside the... Oh wait, I found you."

"Just letting you know, I'm going to be meeting with a client in Spain. Text me if you need anything."

I always did this when I thought about him. Listening to his voicemails brought me some comfort. It scares me to lose the memory of him. We were as close as siblings.

My phone startled me by it's buzzing as I answered a call from my mother.

"Hello darling, I heard about what happened at Aria's party. I will have that bastard killed. Mark my words. I knew you had problems but you almost wound up dead. I'm so sorry for putting you in this position."

"Mum... please, everything is ok. Have a little faith in me, Dante didn't leave the fight in good shape either. I'll deal with him on my own, don't worry. Don't do anything drastic. Please."

"Do Javier and Elsie know what their son did to you?"

"Yes, they already spoke to us about it. Please don't be mad at them. You should've seen their faces. Disappointment doesn't even describe half of what they were feeling."

"Ok... If you say I shouldn't intervene, I respect that. I can't wait for what you've planned this year for your birthday. Although I never understood why you wouldn't let us throw you any birthday parties."

"Patience is a virtue, mother," I teased.

"And you know, I've never been patient, ma belle."

"I've got to go now but I'll see you in a few days, ok? Bye bye. I love you."

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

DANTE MORALES

"Yeah?"

"Good morning to you too, dearest brother," a playful voice sarcastically said.

"What now, Aria?" I sighed.

"I've come to ask about what you're getting Katerina for her birthday. I'm still deciding between a custom Verlangen handbag or a 1947 Marcellin Gresto painting. So... what have you gotten your wife?"

Well shit.

"...When is her birthday again?"

"Dante! You are literally the worst husband known to humankind. It's on the 14th of November. She's throwing the party of the year. Literally everyone who is important is coming."