chapter 5 - the wedding

KATERINA SOLDANO

The day I had been dreading for the past 2 weeks had finally come.

The morning had been quite a rush with makeup artists, hairstylists, and photographers coming in. I had my hair done in a braided bun with strands framing my face.

As I put on my dress the reality of what was happening finally sunk in. I wasn't nervous by any means, just...

Sad? Disappointed? Upset?

I'm not sure. I just never thought I'd be married this early to a man I will never love. At least I'll gain partial control of the Spanish Mafia. They can be strong allies.

As we got to the building for the ceremony, I had my bridesmaids, Celeste and Alexia, with me. Cela and Alexia both wore satin green dresses with a low back and cowls neck.

We got out and I looked inside. There were around 100 people sitting in the pews. I saw a tall figure in a black suit standing at the front with his back faced to the crowd. Suddenly, the music played, it was a beautiful piano arrangement.

I slowly walked down, faking smiles to my family. I finally stopped in front of the priest. Dante still hadn't looked at me.

After 30 minutes... it was time to say the vows.

Dante grabbed my hands and held them.

"Dante Alexander Castel Morales, do you take Katerina Soldano to be your wife? Do you promise to be faithful to her in good times and in bad, in sickness and in health, to love her and to honor her all the days of your life?"

Dante sighed and then murmured an "I do."

I held back a laugh knowing he had no intention of keeping the first promise.

The priest turned to me and said,

"Katerina Antoine Volta Soldano, do you take Dante Morales to be your husband? Do you promise to be faithful to him in good times and in bad, in sickness and in health, to love him and to honor him all the days of your life?"

I looked out toward the church doors.

Should I just make a run for it? I have the keys in my emergency bag. I could if I wanted to. It'd be hard to run in heels though. I never thought I'd see the day when a door stood between me and freedom. Anyways I sho-

I felt a pinch on my palm. Dante looked fuming as he motioned back to the priest.

While I was daydreaming, the priest had already asked me twice if I wanted to marry Dante. I turned back to Dante, my face expressionless.

"I do."

We quickly put the rings on each other and then it was done. We were officially married.

"You may kiss the bride."

It's ok. We prepared for this. Dante and I never wanted to kiss each other, let alone in front of 100 people, so we devised a plan. I held his face and we both leant in as if we were going for a kiss but at the last second, we both shoved our lips next to each other's cheeks. Our hands hid our lips to the crowd.

Yes it's unconventional and borderline extra, but my lips will never touch his. A cheer erupted from behind as we pulled apart. Immediately we put on a facade and started grinning from ear to ear.