Apologies fix nothing

It was nearing 6:30 when a knock came on Xavier's door. Opening it, he was surprised to find his sister standing there. On her cheek, the cut was still angry and red.

"Hi. Can I come in?" Celia asked.

"I didn't think you'd want to talk to me again after earlier." Xavier gestures for her to go inside. He shut the door with a click.

"Yes, well, I was thinking and realised it's not really your fault. I made you upset, I shouldn't have done that. I was being unreasonable. I-"

Xavier cut her off.

"Don't, do that. That thing you do. You pretend everything is your fault, refuse to acknowledge that someone else is in the wrong."

Celia looked at the floor.

"Sit down." Celia sat next to Xavier on his bed.
"I'm the one who should be sorry. I can't believe I lost control of my power. That hasn't happened to me in a while. Regardless of that, it's still my fault that you're hurt. And I'm sorry."

"Honestly, I don't know why I went. I guess I just wanted to help someone, be of use. I'm sick of only being respected because of father, because, because-"

"Because of me."

Celia looked at Xavier, tears shining in her eyes.
"Yeah."

"I don't want to hold you back from that. I also don't want to lose you. Everyone wants to be my friend, but the only people I feel I can really trust are Ajax and you. I don't think I could live with myself if you died."

"It's odd, isn't it? We're surrounded by other people, but still ultimately alone."

Xavier smiled.
"Yeah. Yeah. And father wonders why I have depression."

Celia blinked, a tear running down her cheek.
"We're kinda screwed up, aren't we?"

Xavier hugged her.
"Yup. We are."

A scream sounded from the quad. Celia jumped up. With her brother, she began running. She couldn't help feeling that something very bad had just began.