chapter 6

Being in the hospital was not as bad as I thought it would be. I mean, yeah I did freak out occasionally when I saw blood, but it was bearable. Ryker being there made it a lot easier. He calmed me down, and I was sad to say that I was okay with it. A part of me wants him to be with me, and wants him here. Another, smaller, part of me wanted to push him away because he keeps prying at me, forcing me from my shell. I was content with just Scarlett as a friend, but he makes me think other wise.  Now I feel stronger against Missy and her crew. I want to make friends and show them the real me.

I want to stand up to my Aunt.... But that will never happen. With Ryker everything looks clearer. It sounds really corny, but I think that he is an angel. Someone up above was looking out for me and they have sent me my Guardian. I know it is not true, but it sure feels like it. The more and more I think about it I want tell him what I am thinking. But we know I wont do that. I won't risk our friendship for something stupid like the feeling that is swelling in my chest.

The feeling I am having takes my breath away. It sucks at my heart and makes me feel like there is a expanding balloon in my chest. It is almost painful, but I like it. It feels good and makes me smile. For the life of me I can't figure out what it is. Shaking my head to clear my thoughts, I finish slipping on my cloths from yesterday. Stacy said that I could leave at anytime, so I was getting out now. When I was finished trying to look decent and finger brush my hair, I unlock the door and step out into my room.

The gray bed was folded neatly and the bleak interior was slightly depressing. There were only 2 bland chairs in the corner and a bathroom in the small room. You would think they would spice things up a little bit here and there. I mean, for Christ sake's, this is a hospital. No wonder people die in here....

I look to the door and suddenly, Ryker waltzes in. He is wearing the same cloths, except he looks hot with the slight stubble on his cheeks. My mind starts listing off all my negative traits, comparing them with his. Forcing those thoughts back, I smile at him slightly. Ryker gives me a huge smile and begins to speak. "So you ready to go?" His voice is calming and smooth. I just nod and we walk into the halls.

The smell of disinfectant seeps in my nose, choking me slightly. Ryker squeezes my hand, trying to comfort me. I appreciate the action, griping his fingers hard. I can see many sick people and it is grating on my nerves. Its not the actual sick people. It is the memory's that they bring up that make me freak out.  As soon as the door comes in sight I rush outside, leaving Ryker behind. Ounce the cold air assaults my skin I calm down. With deep breaths, I wait for Ryker. Ounce he catches up, we hop into his car.

"See it wasn't as bad as you feared..." He smiles at me before reversing out of the parking lot. For a few moments we sit there in awkward silence. I open my mouth, and then close it when I don't have anything to say. Time dwells on while we speed down the highway. As we sit there, I begin to panic. What if he relized he doesn't want to be friends after all? What if he hates me? How could I have been so stupid!!

Abruptly he swerves onto the edge of the highway. Oh, here it comes... He is going to tell me he can't pretend any more and kick me out to walk home. His fingers hook my chin, turning my head so he can look me in the eyes. I see turmoil and curiosity swimming in his honey irises. I look up at him timidly, afraid of the let down I was surely going to get. "Violet..." Here it comes. "What happened to you?'' Ryker asks suddenly. I blink, not thinking he would ask that. I hesitate for a moment. I want to tell him, but I can't force it past my lips.

"Nothing. Why do you ask?'' I lie after a minute of silence. His jaw twitches and anger flares on his face. "Well then how do you explain your scars? Your terrors? The fact that you cut yourself." His voice verges on accusing, and I look away in shame. "Nothing happened. And if it did why would you care?" I didn't mean that one slip, but it did. Ryker is still for a moment, a look of shock on his face.