35. Family Ties

~
The franker footage
~

Many years ago, the umbrella academy....

The umbrella academy children were growing older, and Reginald was growing more weary and tense as the years went on. They were all on the roof for training. Once again, they practiced hand to hand combat.

It was the final match between eight and five, the stakes were high. Reginald blew a whistle signaling to start.

The two were cautious around each other, both mysteries to one another. The rest of the academy watched amused as neither five nor eight made a move. The world slowed down and faded for the two, they were in their own world, watching every movement, breath, and expression of each other. The two were already exhausted from previous matches with the others. It had been hours since they first began training.

Fives weight was off in his right foot, eight moved first attempting a right hook. Five dodged and used eights recoil period to send a blow to her stomach. Eight stumbled backwards but quickly retaliated with quick punches to his ribs and stomach.

The fight went on for many more minutes, the two were almost identical in fighting styles, agility, and endurance. The sun was hot and humid. The air was thick and the two were sweaty messes, growing weaker as seconds passed.

Five grew agitated and pushed eight backwards with all of his strength. She tripped and fell to the ground roughly. Five climbed onto her smiling, ready to win. "Just accept it." They we're both out of breath, chests rapidly rising and falling. For a moment eight almost gave up, exhausted. She quickly changed her mind. He hovered over her head, and she used his gloating to find a escape route.

Eight chuckled, "no." With her statement she took his close proximity to her advantage and head butt him, flipping him onto his back as he clutched onto his head in pain, his ears ringing. With her growing nausea and lack of quick thinking she didn't pin down his hands. Five quickly used her mistake to his advantage and reached up to her neck and began choking her. She was caught off guard but did it to him as well. He mustered up the strength and flipped them so he was on top again.

They were both silently gasping for air, waiting for the other to tap out. Eight felt bruises forming on her neck but ignored them struggling under five. She dug fingers into the back of fives neck and tried to scratch his eyes, blood began to trickle down his neck confirming she broke skin.

Eights vision blurred and fives ears rung loudly, he had to of gained a concussion from eights head butt. Neither of them stopped, they both still struggled trying to fight for the upper hand and to stay awake.

The kids on the side line grew impatient and worried for the two. Pogo moved and spoke to Reginald. Reginald listened and nodded. After a moment Reginald blew the whistle again, "it's a draw." Reginald and pogo briskly left the balcony leaving all the children.

Five collapsed onto eight in defeat, eight was too busy gasping for air. Five laid on eight for a few minutes too weak to get up, eight didn't care, she had to collect herself as well. The other Hargreeves approached them. Five rolled himself off of eight to her side and laid there until Luther and Klaus assisted him in standing. Eight never got up, she just laid there on the ground the rest of the day accompanied by Vanya.

~

It was the next morning and eight still had the feeling of uneasiness lingering. She and Luther had quickly left back to her apartment after their encounter with the white violin.