12. Afraid

~
Number Five
~

Reginald Hargreeves was an explorer, eccentric billionaire, interdimensional being and the head of the Umbrella Academy. One thing he wasn't, was a father.

One thing he could never be, was a father.

Eight Hargreeves is a powerful assassin, a strong warrior, a millionaire by inheritance, and the Eighth child in ranking of the Umbrella academy. One thing she wasn't, was a good daughter.

One thing she could never be, was Reginald Hargreeves daughter.

As eight Hargreeves stands in the back alley of a bar, her fathers words do not fail to repeat in her head on a loop. "Number Eight, this mission has upmost importance. Failing is no longer an option. You must succeed, and you must succeed most diligently."

November 1st 2004, Dallas Texas.

She was to kill 5 people for her father.

She killed 10.

~

After a dreadfully long conversation of moral values, Eight was rather exhausted. It was a condition she felt very frequently the last couple days and she assumed it wouldn't be going anywhere any time soon.

Luther, Eight, and Five decided it would be best to give Diego some space to grieve, so they left his makeshift apartment and traveled to the academy.

At the academy eight regretfully learned that her brother had accidentally sent himself back in time and was now feeling the strong side effects and downs sides of time travel.

Five and eight were waiting patiently behind Klaus's door for him to get out of the bath. Once five signaled an okay eight knocked on the door and opened it.

"You okay?" Five asked Klaus.

"Long night." Klaus responded.

"You did it didn't you?" Five spoke again ignoring his brothers dismissive tone.

"We can recognize the symptoms Klaus." Eight spoke confidently besides five.

"The jet lag, fully body itch, headache that feels like someone shoved a box of cotton up into your nose and through your brain." Five added

Klaus was angry, he was sad, and most of all he was grieving. Something that eight recognized right away. "Your pals, when they broke into the house and they couldn't find you, they took me hostage instead."

"In return you stole their briefcase?"

"Yeah, I thought there was money in it, or I could pawn it, you know. And then I opened it." Klaus was solemn, maybe even defeat in a way.

Eight leaned against the doorframe, "and the next thing you knew, you were....where? Or should I say when."

"What difference does it make?"

"Diff- difference? It makes a big difference how long we're you gone?" Five asked annoyed.

"A year."