Chapter 23: Like a Phoenix

It was a very somber Sunday as we laid to rest 6 members of our beloved family. 3 young warriors whom had fought very bravely. 2 elderly parents whom had lost both their children.
See heartbreak can truly take it's toll on a person.
And Gem.
Yes you heard me. Gem.
Even though in the end she betrayed her pack. She was born here. Raised here. And ultimately died here.
She poisoned herself after realizing she had been exposed. And was on the losing team.
My heart went out to Sabrina. While she had not giving birth to Gem. When Gem's mother died. Sabrina stepped up. Taking on a 2 year old was quite the task. But Sabrina was born with the XXY mutation. Though woman on the outside. She did not possess the anatomy to give birth.
Gem was her answered prayers.
Sabrina apologize with every ounce of energy she had left after she cried her heart out.
After a long talk, I explain to her that I did not blame her for any of Gem's actions.
In doing so we bonded over great loss. And these past few days she has become like a mother I never knew I needed.

Doc Hudson came up during the end of the ceremony and pulled Mama Pen away. 20 minutes later she came to me red faced and visibly tired.
"Leia they need you at the hospital."
"Why? Is everything ok with Kai?"
"Leia please just go. Now honey."
Tyee and Joan came to me. Tyee being the pack Gamma is my personal guard. It doesn't hurt that he is mated to my baby sister.
The walk to the hospital is silent. Putting me in my thoughts.
Doc Hudson meet us at the door. He asks how I have been feeling. Then take me quickly to the exam room and checks my wounds. All but the hip wound from the arrow is healed. My hip wound is still opening but it is no longer bleeding.
Then I am lead to our ICU. Kai lays there.
Quietly.
So quiet that if the beeps from the machines were not going off every few seconds. I would think he had passed away.
"Alpha Luna Leia I asked you here because Kai is only being kept alive until you make the decision."
"What decision?"
"The decision to pull the plug on the life support. Kai died during surgery. But we were able to bring him back. But since then there has been little to no brain activity. Mama Pen came and said her goodbyes already. Now it's your turn and your decision."
What?
What the fuck!
Why are they just now telling me. After surgery they made it seem like he was just resting.
"Why are you just now telling me this? I thought you were able to heal him?"
"We were Luna. But he lost some much blood that his body hasn't recovered. Even his mate mark is starting to fade."
I guess that makes sense why my healing process has been slow. When one's mate is killed. Or when you have been marked and then rejected. Everything slows to human speeds. The healing process is the first thing that you notice. I always assumed it was because I was shot with the silver tipped arrow. Not once did it crossed my mind that Kai was dying.
" Doc one more day won't make a difference. I need to sleep on this decision. You're talking about giving up my mate. My other half of my soul. And I haven't been mated for long."
"No Luna one more day won't make a difference. But I must tell you that the longer you wait the harder it will be on you. And we need you well for when Kai goes, you will be our leader."
"My concern is your well-being for you will be our Alpha Luna. And Kai wouldn't want you to take the both of you. By mourning and grieving his loss it could destroy you in the process if we take too long.
From here on out, you'll be our future. See you in the morning."

The rest of the evening went by in a blurry. I kept trying to mindlink Kai hoping that he would answer. But the silence on the other end was so loud. I felt like puking. Goddess please I begged. But again no answer.
In bed that night I cried myself to sleep. It was hard enough to lose a mate. But to make to decision on whether they live or died. I thought I had woken up when a bright light flashed in my eyes.
But no it's was the goddess who appeared before me in my dreams.
"Leia your destiny has brought you here. It is written in the history books that you are to lead this nation of wolves. So when the time has come. Why do you question it?"
"I can't lose him."
"He was never yours to begin with my child."
"What do you mean?"
"Kai has always been destined to be a great warrior. Now he protects the upper realm. And you will rule the lower. It's what brought you together as mates in the first place."
"Now set yourself free from the chains of the royal council. Lay Kai to rest. And take your place as Alpha Luna and unite your people. Or the werewolves will cease to exist."
Cease to exist? What does she mean?
"If I claim my right place. Who will I defeat? All who oppose?"
"Have faith my child. You already have the power within you. Believe in it and you will then see."
"See what?"
"You will know when the time comes"
I wake up with a startle just as the sun begins to rise. I walk over to the mirror on my dresser and see the just below my hairline in the center of my forehead a crescent moon. The mark of the goddess. Kai's was only visible in his wolf form.
I know what it means but how will everyone else take it. Especially now that my mate's mark is almost completely gone. I think it's only still visible because Kai is on life support.
Today is the day.
Will it hurt?
My heart already aches.
Am I heartless?
I know that once it's done it's done.
I will take Mama Pen, Alo, and Tyee with me. And we will tell the pack together afterwards.
A United front will help ease the pain and the transition.