Chapter 4: Pack Life

It's been 10 days since we have arrived. Little bit by little bit Alpha Kai has told me about their pack. We all taken turns sitting with Joan in shifts. I have a baby cam on her when I am away. I want to be there the moment she wakes up.
"I heard giggles and smile, relaxing further into the porch swing. It was the first time in what felt like ages that I'd heard women gossiping and not ran the opposite direction. Being on the run for so long after my parents were killed. It's been weird being around people. I think Joan may really like the pack once she wakes up. She has always been a people person.
Since she was little she has always talked about having a big family. Wanting to have at least 6 children when she finds her mate. Always curious about why my parents only had two of us.
Omega Gem comes out the pack door with homemade biscuits and blackberry jam on a plate. Here Luna you need to keep up your strength. She says.
Thanks Gem. She has been like a friend to me since the first day we met.
But what did you just call me Gem? What's a Luna?
Leia, I called you Leia. She says to quickly.
No Gem that is not what you just said.
I can see her face kind of go blank. 10 seconds later Lena comes around the corner of the porch.
Gem gets to moving like her pants is on fire. Back through the pack house front door like there was an emergency without so much as a goodbye.
Ok! That was weird. I say laughing.
Hey Lena. Sit down and put your feet up. You are due at any moment. I can hear your baby shifting in there. A very healthy baby boy indeed.
She looks at me laughing so hard that tears rolling down her face. How did you know? The doctors have been trying for weeks. And can't seem to get him to sit still long enough to figure it out. I place my hand on her belly. And shrug my shoulders. I don't know. It's a gift I guess. I told mom about how Joan was going to be a girl.
And I think I have guess correctly on every pregnant belly since I was 2. It's like I get the flash image of the baby. Our in your cases babies.
Mom always said it was my gift from the goddess. Like future predictions. I just assumed it was just an educated guess based off the belly shape. I laugh softly.
Lena, can I ask you a question?
Sure Leia. What is it?
Gem called me Luna. What does she mean?
Lena looks like she is on the verge of saying something.
Then she pauses.
Shakes her head and sighs.
You know what. That is definitely a conversation you and Alpha Kai need to have. How about I ask Tyee stay with Joan tonight. You and Alpha Kai take some time and talk. I will make sure his schedule is clear. But do me a favor. Ask as many questions about the pack and Kai as you wish. And be honest with him honey. He can only help you if he knows what's going on. Ok?
Yeah sure. I will and thanks for all your help. If I haven't said it before. I'm saying to now. From getting us settled into our rooms here in the pack house. To the clothes. And everything else in between. I want to thank you. Joan will be appreciative as well. When she wakes up.
You know Zara said it could take several days. But I'm starting to worry.
No worries sweetheart and the moment she wakes up we will notify you.
If you aren't there already. Ok?
Ok.
Around 5 pm Alpha Kai showed up at my room. With a loud knock from him I open the door.
Whoa! Hello.
Hey! Sorry if I scared you. I'm not use to knocking. Everyone here is usually part of the pack so I know before I get to a room whether or not I can come in. The whole knocking thing is something I will have to get use to.
Other then visitors in town during tourist season. We really don't usually have many visitors here. I prefer it that way. The less interaction with other packs. The less fighting and wars we are involved in.
Although we have Allies, we are very self-sufficient.
Tonight when we have a little time. After a little Q&A and maybe some food. I will tell you about the pack's history. Again only if you are comfortable with knowing.
Yeah! Alpha Kai, listen werewolves are not unusual to me. My family, we are werewolves. I have just never lived in a pack. We lived with human neighbors. We blended into a human community. My parents preferred it that way after my mom's pack tried to make her mate with their alpha. So don't be afraid for you or your pack to be yourselves. I have to get use to the fact that there is a difference between you guys and rogues. And that may take some time.
Yeah I know I'm just trying to be a good host LOL!
You a host? I giggled as I slapped his arm. He looks at me with a weird expression.
I'm sorry. Did I hurt you? I say instantly regretting that I let my guard down. Every since I got my wolf. I just don't... you know, know my strength and things. I'm still adjusting.
Kai let out the loudest laugh. It sounded like thunder. Echoing through the hallway. The pack house goes silent for a long moment.
What did I say? Unsure of whether to laugh as well.
Sweetie you didn't hurt me.
He says through laughter and tears.
I punch his chest. I'm glad you are getting a kick out of this Kai. He grabs my arm and we begin to play fight.
No it's ok. Most people are scared to hit me. And when they do most don't make it to live afterwards. But you Leia. You playfully hit me and are more worried about if you hurt me rather than angered me. LOL!
I'm glad that you are here you are a breathe of fresh air.
Speaking of air, Alpha Kai. You are crushing me.
Oh shit! I forget how heavy I am sometimes Leia. It's another rarity for me to lay on someone especially a woman. Kai says and he pulls me up from the floor. As he stands up. His cheeks blush as he realizes what he just said.
Sorry!
No it's ok I say laughing. Ain't we suppose to be chatting and getting food anyways.
Most people would call that a date Leia.
Don't start Kai or I will really hit you.
Kai puts both hands up in a surrendering fashion.
Ok ok woman. You don't have to beat me up to get a good meal out of me. I promise to feed you. He chuckles at his last statement.
Kai! I said warning him. Laughing as we walk out the pack door with all eyes on us.