Chapter 12: Could hope be the opposite of death

Disclaimer: this chapter has abuse and may trigger some people***

Most pack members here, don't remember the pack house has a dungeon. Most offenders never make it this far. They are usually are killed or tortured before they can make it to the dungeon.
Every night since I have arrived to this place. This is where I have been. I have a little cell in the very back. I have a cot and an old, tattered blanket to keep me warm. I mean, at least I'm not being treated like the breeder slaves yet.
Right now, it's eleven-thirty p.m. when I hear the door of the dungeon bang open. Great.
Now what?
Alpha Kyle hasn't forced himself on me, but I thinks it's just a matter of time before that happens. He has been coming down here daily, to take out his anger on me. It started out with just yelling at me. But now he beats me.
Oh crap! I can feel the anger emitting off of him tonight.
Keeping my eyes looking at the floor. I keep my hands clasped in front of me, trying to look as small as possible.
He reaches out and pulls me by my hair. Yanking me to a standing position. I flinch. I can't help it. I even start to tremble and hug myself.
Whatever that is going to happen it's going to be worse than the late time.
Last time he came in drunk. Swear I was my mother. Mad I received 2 punches to the face, followed by 6 lashes from a whip laced in wolfbane.
He lunges forward and grabs me by the throat with both hands. I feel tears welling up in my eyes as the lack of oxygen turns the edges of my vision dark. I tried to escape his grip but it's no use. He is locked on too tight. He picks me up by the neck so I'm face to face with him. His eyes are pitch black indicating his wolf is at the surface. His face is red with anger.
"You stupid bitch. Just like your mother. You just can't do as you are told can you? Now the royal council is on its way."
I start gagging and choking from the lack of oxygen. Without warning, he throws me across the room as if I weigh nothing. My back slams against the wall and I land face down on the cot. I try to muffle a scream as the pain sears through me. He comes across the room and picks me up roughly by the hair again.
Whack! He slaps me as hard as he can before throws me to the ground. He kicks me in the gut and stomps on my back just below my shoulder blade. I feel my ribs snap when his boot makes contact. He is repeatedly kicking me now. Over and over as he is yelling at me. But I can barely hear what he is saying. The pain is just too much. One of his kicks lands on my jaw. I feel a sickening snap.The metallic taste of blood instantly fills my mouth.
"Stop,. please ," I manage to choke out. My voice is small and garbled between the broken jaw and blood in my mouth. He abruptly stops and walks out of the room. He comes back a moment later. I hear the crack from the whip. Right before my vision turns blurry and I black out.
Blackness and numbness surrounds me. Is this what being dead is like?
Poor Joan, my heart breaks knowing that I have now left her completely alone. But at least I don't have to birth Alpha Kyle's pups.
The constant sound of soft beeps are soothing. I don't know how long I've been dead, but I feel like I need to open my eyes.
After what seems like forever, I'm able to open my eyes and find I'm alone in a soft comfortable bed in a brightly lit, clean room. My mind slowly becomes more clear and I realize I'm not dead. And that I am in the pack hospital.
I need to leave before the Alpha finds me. I try to get up but I can barely move my body. Every move causes excruciating pain. I start to panic, making the beeps in the room become frantic. Oh, no, how do I make them quieter. Before I draw attention. I'm try to figure out how to unhook them so no one hears the noises. Too late, I hear people in the hallway getting closer. I try to stand up. I need to ignore the pain. I have to escape. This is my only chance. I slowly slide off the side of bed. But I am having trouble stand up on my legs. My legs were wobbly. Shit get it together Leia. I have yet to hear my wolf.
The door opens and the pack doctor comes in with a nurse. The doctor is an older gentleman. And for some strange reason he doesn't smell like a wolf. The nurse moves quietly behind him.
"Ah, finally you are awake. Let's get you back in the bed, shall we?" The doctor says gently. He and the nurse come to either side of me and reach out to hold my arms. A deep growl escapes my chest.
"Don't touch me," I snap, shaking them off. My voice is scratchy and raw and my throat feels like a thousand needles are poking into it.
"It's alright. No one is going to hurt you here. We're trying to help you heal. Let's get you back to bed and get you a drink of water," the doctor raises his hands in surrender pose.
I look at him hesitantly before accepting their help. Once back in bed, the nurse hands me a cup of water with a straw. It hurts the whole lower half of my face to drink, but the water feels good on my throat.
The doctor sits in the chair beside the bed as the nurse checks my vitals and starts messing with the tubes and wires attached to me.
He glances at the nurse and asks her to give us privacy for a few minutes. Oh crap, I'm in trouble? I just woke up. Are they here to finish the job? Alpha Kyle almost killed me. Maybe this is he form of torture. Keeping me alive as long as possible. So he can keep beating me. The nurse finishes what she's doing and leaves the room.
"The royal council is here. I told them you were awake and they need to speak with you. But choose your words wisely Luna. It could be the death of you."
"I was kidnapped. I just want to go home."
The doctor nods, looking at me with pity. Almost like he actually cares. He asks me a few more questions about my medical history, but there's nothing to really speak of. I don't remember ever being treated by a doctor before.
"I see," he closes the folder and tucks his pen into his shirt pocket, "Well, I know you haven't had a chance to look in the mirror yet, but when you do, you may find you look a little different. Don't be alarmed. I believe it's a sign that your wolf is healing you. I've done as many tests as I could think of. It is not medically related."
I look at him with confusion, "Y-yes, sir." I assume he means I'm healing faster.
What is he not telling me?
I look up to see the nurse has returned. And she is staring at me like I'm a mystery. When she realizes I caught her, her eyes dart away. What's that about?
"I'll leave you now, so you can get cleaned up" she says, "You can go in the bathroom and please take your time. Use the walker for balance. And take that pole with the IV solution with you. There are lounge shorts and fresh underwear in the bag. You need to leave a hospital gown on so the doctor can monitor your broken ribs and cuts. Alright?"
"Yes, ma'am. Thank you," she nods and leaves the room.
I pick up the clean gown and go to the bathroom. I avoid looking in the mirror. I'm not sure I'm ready to see the damage to my face. Everything in the bathroom is fresh and white. There's a shower, but I'm worried the pressure of the water will hurt. I decide to fill the tub halfway and get in. The water is warm and soothing. There's a washcloth and a fresh bar of soap. I clean myself until the water is gross. All the dried blood tinges the water pink. It hurts to raise my arms, but I don't want to call the nurse to help me. I gently wash my hair and use a cup to rinse it. I dry off and wrap the soft towel around me. I am too exhausted to brush my teeth. So I swish mouthwash around in my mouth. Even though it hurts.
Finally I work up the courage to take a peek in the mirror. What I see makes me spit mouthwash everywhere.
My face is still covered in bruises, but that's not what shocked me. The iris of my left eye is bright blue. Not like any shade of blue it could be a little purple in the right light. No no. My right pupil is still brown. My left pupil looks crazy. I blink my eyes hard a few times. Still the same. I try rubbing my eye but it doesn't make a difference. There's no mistaking it . My eye is bright, bright blue like Kai's.
I stare at myself in the mirror for the millionth time. My left eye is still blue. My right eye is still the same color brown it has always been. There was nothing I can do about it, so I decide to try not to worry.
Several minutes pass and I hear voices outside the hospital room door.
Instinctively, I scramble and stand in the middle of the room just as they come into the doorway.
"I'm sorry, sir," I apologize. "I can't bow due to the injuries."
"What the Hell did you do to make him so mad?" One of the council men says.
"Wh-what happened to your eye?"
"A-are you a hybrid or something?
"I was kidnapped. Beaten and told I would be raped to produce the alpha a heir." I continue telling them of Alpha Kyle's plans and what he and his pack have been doing with breeders.
"What the...Hell? Call the royal guards. And call Alpha Kai. Tell him we found his mate." The head council man instructed someone.
Did the Moon Goddess hear me? Did she have mercy on me? Did she let my dream come true?
"Goddess, thank you for saving me. Thank you," I say out loud, just in case the miracle I just experienced was because of her.
Now my only worry is will Kai still want me.