Chapter 18: The calm before the Storm

The next morning seem to come quicker than I thought it would.
Mind you, I'm not a morning person. Never have been but I am tolerating after 1 pm or when I have had coffee.
Joan and I woke up to someone came banging on the door. Like Really banging as if there was an emergency. I roll over to see that is it 6 am.
After Joan answered the door, an army of people come rushing to get the both of us ready for the ceremony.

All I could do was moan. Ugh! I am not ready! Before we go any further. I say to no one in particular. And I do mean any further, I need coffee. That's all I could manage to say as I rolled out of the bed. I will bend at your every whim but not before coffee. And if anyone has a problem with it. Tough I am the future Luna. And it's my ceremony day. I don't care how bratty that sounds right now. Which causes a few people to chuckle.
With that I set my feet on the floor. Grab my robe and walk past everyone. With my head held high.
Coffee is life. And anyone who wants to live the rest of their life will understand to never come between a girl and her coffee especially not at 6 AM.

Into the kitchen I march. Today Kai and I are not allowed to see each other until the ceremony. I get the tradition. But I miss our morning routine.
I sit down to enjoy my first sip of coffee at the breakfast bar. Watching all the cooks prepare breakfast. And prep for tonight's feast.
What I find it really odd that Gem is no where to be found.
I stopped the top cook Sabrina.
"So sorry to interrupt Sabrina. I know you are super busy but have you seen Gem.
No Luna, earlier she stated that with today being your special day. She would not be available to help anyone but you and that included cooking."
"I'm sorry what? That's strange.""Considering I never requested for that to happen. So the moment you see Gem you tell her it's all hands on deck. And that is a direct order from the Alpha/Luna."

I try mindlinking Kai to let him know this little bit of information and how I've noticed her behavior has been strange here lately. But his mind link is blocked from me at the moment. So I make a metal note to speak to him and Mama Pen about it. I hope I'm wrong but my gut is telling that there's something really disturbing with the way she's been behaving. Goddess I hope I'm wrong.

I finish my coffee and mink link Lena and Alo. I need to be sure I'm wrong. But sometimes tells me I'm not. Call it intuition. Alo notifies me that I can locate him, the twins and Lena in his office.

My suspicions need to be said out loud. And so within minutes I find myself seated at Alo's desk.
"Hey good morning I know my free time is limited but I have a gut feeling something up with Gem."
Lena gives Alo a strange look and I know that I am on to something. I tell them both of the weird times I have caught her on a phone. And how she is always whispering. And the moment someone is in ear shot she immediately hangs up. Maybe it's coincidence. But it's always around the time that we are attacked by rogues. Then this morning she was telling everybody she's unavailable. Because she has to be available to help me which was never discussed. I've been telling everyone I want all hands on deck to prepare for the luna ceremony and the feast. But she is nowhere to be found, and hasn't been seen since late last night. And to top it all off, she's been doing a lot of late night  runs to the north. Which seems really weird considering there's where majority of the rogue attacks are.
Lena said about a month before I met Kai. Gem started searching for her mate told everyone she had found him. But no one has yet to meet him nor has she requested to move to his pack.
Alo said that if my suspicions were correct that means that Gem was the trader and the inside mole that everyone I have been searching for.
His plan was to mine link alpha Kai and let him know. To see what he thoughts were on the situation. I went on to describe the dream about being chased by two wolves into a cave where I was stabbed to save the pack. I think it could be a premonition. Could Gem be the missing link that I didn't see? For the sake of my pack I hope so. Never the less I have to so play Barbie for the next two hours. What's that old southern saying.... Lord Jesus it's a fire. Or something like that LOL.
I wish my mom was here.
It's the one thing she wished she was able to do when she was young.
She once told me every girl dreams of how her day would be.
Whether it's big or small you just know. And the groom most of the time could care less. But the wedding day is your day to shine as a couple.
She would have loved all the preparation and dress shopping.
I plan to fill that void some day for Joan.