Chapter 3: Survival

Now is not the time for me to have found my mate. But the Goddess is never wrong.
Kai thought to himself.
Right now Kai has an overwhelming urge to protect her.
Is she running from something?
All he can think about as he watches her walk across the diner. Kai could tell they are in some kind of trouble that for sure. Not to mention these two look like the two young rogues patrol had mention more then once in the pass few weeks.
Would she let him help her?
There is so much he still does not know about her. And also he could tell his presence scared her.
The simple greeting from his mom earlier when they entered the diner. Put her completely on edge. Even though he didn't know her name yet.
The mate bond was strong between the two of them. The first stage of the mating bond, imprinting, has already happened.
Even right now, he could feel that her emotions were all over the place.
Looking up again. Kai noticed that she trying to shake the younger one awake. Joan I think is what I heard her say her name was, doesn't look good.
Getting up Kai goes over to help her.
The moment our arms simply touch. It's like icicles are running up and down my arm. And Jax fights me to try and to break free. Mate! He keeps yelling over and over in my head.
"Son!" My mom says to me over our pack link. "As alpha of this pack. Please understand that though right now it's not the ideal situation. You need to be level headed. Get your emotions back in check."  "And let's see about helping them first. Once we get things under control. You can announced to the pack that you have just found your mate."
"Then they will give you privacy that you will need to figure things out."
"But right now even your father.... Goddess rest his soul can feel your turmoil."
"Right... thanks mom." I say to her through the mindlink.
I instinctively let the Alpha in me take lead. I start barking orders. First to the pack doctor over our pack link.
"Doc Hudson. I have a female maybe 16. Unconscious, hallow breathing, fever, cough, possible wolfbane poisoning. And she doesn't seem to have her wolf yet. At least I don't think. But I do have her sister with us. If we leave the diner now our ETA should about 19 minutes."
Doc Hudson reply
"Bed's ready. Staff's ready. Pull straight in to the ambulance bay."
Next my Beta Alo.
"Can you have Lena meet us that the hospital? Maybe a female can help ease the situation. And yes I have found my mate by the way."
I laugh at the idea of his victory dance that I'm sure he doing. Alo has a circle dance for every occasion or celebration. And with Lena being pregnant and motherly right now it might help us get things sorted out.
He grabs her food and takes off to the pack house ahead of us.
I mind link the whole pack.
"Pack."
"Listen I am currently on my way to the pack hospital with two females. One is very sick. Until I know for sure that they know what about werewolves. Please be cautious about phasing. And let's double up on patrols for about a week. I'm not sure their situation. But both ladies seem very skiddish. My senses say they are in danger. So remember the buddy system when leaving pack grounds. And remember your rogue training."
After a long pause. Unsure if this is the right time. But know my pack needs to hear this from myself.
"Also the eldest of the two is my mate."
There is a roar of proud coming from the link.
"Please all be gentle."
"Again not sure about who they are or where they came from but she could be our future Luna. So let's be diligent. Safety first. We are known for our warriors for a reason folks."
"Ladies of the pack. Can I get clothes? The youngest looks to be a size 10. And my mate a size 14. Bring pants, t shirts and hoodies. And Omega Gem can you bring you vegetable soup and biscuits. They haven't eaten."
With all orders given I close the mindlink all the way down and feel. I feel my worry, my hurt and my proud.
I tried to hoist the little sister up and carry her to the car.  After my mom explained that we need to get her to a doctor and quick. But the oldest of the two refuses to let me help. Carrying her sister out of the diner herself. She pulls her into the back seat. I hop in the passenger seat. As we take off.
I look up to see the oldest one staring at me through the rear view mirror. She rubs that same spot over her heart again and mouths Thank you. I push love through the bond in hopes that it reaches her deep down inside.
As much as I don't think I'm ready. I can't help but wonder what the goddess has in store for me after not having a mate for so long. I had not been dating for 2 years now. I figured by the time I was 26 I would pick a mate. But here is fate.
As damaged as she may seem to be right now. I see her strength.
I hear her sigh.
"Are you uncomfortable?" I asked her. She lowers her eyes.
"Yes and no, I'm just worried about Joan. She has always been very healthy since birth. I think this is the first time she has ever been sick. I wish mom and dad were here, they would know what to do."
I hear the past tense in her words.
"We'll let the doctor know all the information you know about your sister. Even the little things help."
She blinks back the tears and nods her head.
"Are you ok?"
"Yes, yes I am thanks for asking. I'm just a little tired and hungry."
At this time Joan moans her name.
"Leia! Leia!"
"I'm here Joan."
"Oh ok. Leia I don't feel well. I don't want to died like mom and dad. Please Leia I don't want leave you too." Joan says through a painful moan.
"Sssssh! Ssssh! Joan it's ok. We are on our way to a hospital Little Flower. We will get you better."
"Right Alpha Kai." I exclaim desperately
My heart beat picks up a bit when I hear her say my name.
"Leia, I will do everything in my power to make your sister better. I promise."
Joan's eyes flutter back close. Her face is sweaty and her cheeks are rosey. I know it's only a matter of time. If we don't get her to the doctor soon she won't make it.
I open up my mindlink and tell Tyee my gamma to step on it.
5 long minutes later we pull into the ambulance bay. I pulled Joan off of Leia's lap and take off. Leia is right behind me. Pulling paperwork out of her pack. Answering all questions as smoothly as if she had rehearsed them. The last answer came out in a whisper as the doc asked if Joan was a werewolf.
"No sir. Only the first born gets the gene. My mother was cursed by a witch for choosing my father as her mate."
"Unusual." Doc Hudson says. " Though the spell maybe the reason why we are here."
"Joan could be of Alpha blood and her wolf maybe fighting the spell.
Place a call to our neighboring pack. Have them send Zara. She will know what to do. In the meantime get her cleaned up. Hook some IV bags up and start the wolfbane reversal as a per caution. We will need to make sure we have checked all the boxes at this point in time."