Chapter 2: The Diner

When we enter the diner. And as instructed Joan goes straight back to the bathroom.
The sweet red haired lady from the local drug store. Just so happens to be the waitress behind the high top counter.
She said "Hey there! I don't remember your name from the other day sugar."
I kind of thought it was weird that she called me sugar.
I heard my mom talk about how people in the south have this thing called southern hospitality and charm. I guess this is what she was talking about. I'm mumbled hi. Keeping my head down as I sit in the booth farthest from everybody.
There is one guy in particular that seems the scariest. I can feel his eyes following me the moment I walked into the diner. His stare is so intense. Sky my wolf is pacing. She has been on edge lately. I take a few deep breathes to try and calm her. But something has her whimpering and wanting to break free.
I rub small circles on the skin right above my heart ' cause there's where I feel it the most. I look up several times. Trying not to be obvious as I watch the bathroom door waiting for Joan to come out. The waitress lady comes over and I order us drinks. Then I get up and go to the bathroom.
"Joan!" I whisper as I enter the restroom. She looks over at me with teary green eyes. "I'm sorry." She says in a low tearful voice. "I can only manage my hair and face. I'm just so tired LeeLee."
"It's OK." I say to her as I pull her into hug.
"Let's eat. Then we will find a place to lay down. I saw a clinic not far from here. We may have to pay for you to see a doctor. Maybe this is where we need to stop for a while and get our bearings."
Joan whines. "I don't wanna be any trouble. Just need a few days of sleeping inside on a bed and I will feel better. Then we can keep moving. You know mom's plan was for us to get to Canada."
"I know Joan. But we can't keep moving if you don't feel well. I've covered our tracks. We've covered our scent. But you have to get better. Trust me. Go out to the booth that has two red cups. We are at the table closest to the restrooms. I ordered you some hot tea. Drink a glass of water too. I'll be out in just a seconds. I want change my clothes and wash my hands. We'll eat and then we'll figure it out from there."
Before she could walk out of the restroom. I grab her into another hug.
"We've got this. I love you!" I say to her trying to reassure her that everything will ok.
As the door closes. In my head I wanted to say I'm scared too but I am the oldest and in charge of our lives right now.
So I need to pull it together and come up with a plan.
Moon goddess if you hear me. Please help us. Please save us from the same faith that our parents received.
I change into jeans and a long sleeve t shirt. Wash my hands after I reput up my hair. And head out.
I look up to see the scary guy looking dead at me. I notice he has one dark brown colored eye and one ice blue colored eye. He lips curl back. I can almost hear the growl trying to escape his throat. But what comes out next completely throws me off balance.
"Mate!" It comes out in a whisper at first like he is confused.
He shifts slightly in his seat.
"Mate!" He says again.
This time drawing attention from the other guys in his booth. Both equally as scary and equally as big as him.
My eyes snap back to Joan who is practically laying down on the booth. I shuffle over to her. Touching her forehead she is burning up. I shake her arm. "Joan honey wake up!"
Her eyes flutter open and she looks at me like she can see past me. Like I'm not even standing there.
A shadow pass over me as I try to get her to snap out of it. I turn around quickly to come face to face with the biggest most muscular man I have ever seen. His coal black hair is pulled back at the base of his neck in a ponytail. It's braided and the braid reaches to the middle of his back. His tan skin smooth like fresh caramel.
He says to me. "She needs a doctor and fast."
I want to scream I know this. But when he reaches out and touches my arm. The icy chills that run across my skin instantly calms me.
He looks at the other two guys. Like he is silently communicating something. One guy gets up and goes out to the black all terrain Jeep and starts it up. The other picks up an extra order at the counter and pays.
"Hi my name is Kai. I know you don't know me. My guess is you aren't from around here. I have a doctor who can help your sister. Correct me if I'm wrong. She is your sister right?"
I nod not sure of what to say.
The red head comes up behind him.
"Kai you are scaring the poor thang. Bless your heart. I'm Penny. Most people around here call me Mama Pen."
She says. "Kai is my son. And he is also the alpha around theses parts."
" Alpha as in wolf." I say barely above a whisper. I stumble over my words as I say. "No thank you. Www-we are good."
"Listen hon. If you don't get your sister to the doctor now she might not make it. It's rare for someone to be between childhood and shift. To end up getting sick. In my experience, she might've been poisoned with Wolfbane. Maybe by accident. Maybe on purpose. But she's got about 48 hours before it becomes critical. If we don't help her now. She won't survive. So I know you don't know us. But Kai here is your best shot at your sister making it to see another day hun."
Just before I can give any thought as what to do next Alpha Kai reaches out to swoop my baby sister up. My arms shots up blocking his way protecting my sister. " I got her."

*****
Will Joan make it?
Does Leia know what a mate means? Let's see what the next chapter holds peeps. And as always feel free to comment and vote