vi. 🧸

chapter 6

Hadley didn't go to sleep immediately after Pollyanna left. there was no way he could. all that had happened recently accumulated to this - being taken care of by an essential stranger. she was a very nice and beautiful one, but a stranger nonetheless.

he wished so badly that his mother was still there with him. she'd sing to him, just the right remedy for his sadness.. like it always had been.

he tiptoed through the house gracefully, not making a single sound. it was such a comfortable place that smelled like Pollyanna; Hadley had already grown to love her scent; he could only get more accustomed to it as the days would go by.

Hadley approached a window which had a reclining chair in front of it. he shivered slightly because of the cool leather of the seat and his inconvenient lack of underwear. the window fogged up as he peered out of it. outside was nothing but bright orange streetlights and quiet streets.

"... I like the lights..." he whispered.

in the rural place he was from, streetlights weren't a thing. the only light there was at nighttime was the light from the windows of houses or the porch lights. beyond them would be pitch blackness of the woods that seemed impenetrable.

for some time, he sat, suddenly starting to feel the sting of having to pee. he scurried to the bathroom, and then afterwards, he went back to the bedroom.

this time, he was able to go to sleep, waiting for Pollyanna & dreaming of nothing.