Chapter 33: Happy New Year!

*Soleil's POV*

I am in love with Christmas this year. I feel weirdly excited and emotional, and giddy all at the same time. Ito kasi ang unang pasko na kasama ko ang pamilya ko ever since umalis ako sa bahay namin. Last year, I celebrated Christmas at Sarah's bistro, singing for the people there for Christmas. I also bought gifts for only four people, but this year, I am swamped with presents and new friends to give them to. Somehow, it felt like life has become more colorful ever since I bumped into Paolo that one night.

Although a bit late, I also took the time to set up a small Christmas tree in my living room and even hung a wreath on my door. 

Nang sumunod na araw, sumali ako sa isang Christmas party para sa isang TV show kung saan madalas akong ma-feature bilang guest host. The next few days were filled with Christmas parties and gifts from both fans and colleagues. I attended each with enthusiasm and a grateful heart. And finally, bilang huling trabaho ko para sa taong ito, nag-perform ako sa isang Christmas concert kasama ang ilang sikat na mga singer at banda sa bansa.

I know the holidays tend to be hectic for everyone, but I had no idea it was this hectic for some people. Bukod sa trabaho ko, kinailangan ko ring tulungan si Ate Lauren sa preparations para sa engagement niya on the 25th. Holding a simple family dinner for Christmas Eve turned out to be a great idea.

My van was filled with presents that my Kuya helped unload as soon as I arrived home on Christmas Eve. Habang abala sila sa paghahanda, inayos ko naman sa lilim ng malaking Christmas tree ang mga dala ko. Among these are gifts for my friends, including The Players, and Paolo. Although hindi pa sure na makakapunta sila sa engagement party bukas, dinala ko pa rin just in case.

The dinner was hearty and filled with fun conversations. At one point, everyone at the table was weirdly interested in my love life and kept pestering me to bring a boyfriend to the next family dinner. Even Dad was actively joining the discussion. Parang kailangan ko yata siyang i-remind na hindi niya nagustuhan at all nung dinala ko si Benedict upang ipakilala sa kaniya.

Well to be fair, I was 22 at the time so he probably wasn't prepared to see me introducing boyfriends at home. And maybe he was right to dislike Ben, after all. Gago naman pala siya, hindi ko lang alam noon. Now that I'm remembering it again, medyo nagtampo nga rin pala ako kay Lisa noon. Siya naman kasi nag-introduce sa amin, but as it turns out, she didn't know about him being a jerk too.

"You know, I'm actually very happy for Lisa. Calvin may have been a jerk but he was willing to be better. Also, hindi niya alam na pregnant si Lis, pero willing siyang pakasalan ito. That's something," sabi ni Ate Lauren.

The dinner was over and while the family was happily lounging around the living room, Ate and I were in the kitchen preparing snacks for movie night. Naikwento ko sa kaniya ang mga pangyayari noong birthday-slash-engagement ni Lisa. She already know about it because Lisa told her, but she didn't know all the details. That's the thing about your bestfriends being extended bestfriends of your sister, she needs to be filled in on everything interesting that's going on.

"I agree," sambit ko. "And because of her pregnancy nga, hindi siya makakaattend tomorrow. Apparently nahihirapan siya sa pagbubuntis niya."

"Oh my. Good thing her mom is a doctor. She can help her a lot."

I saw Mama Soledad peeking through the kitchen door before walking in. Napansin ko kaagad na nakabihis na siya ng pajamas para sa movie.

"Isinalang na ni Anthony ang movie. You should change. I will finish up here."

"Okay, Mama. Thanks!" masayang sabi ni Ate Lauren sabay beso sa pisngi ng lola. Then she took me by the arm and dragged me in the direction of the staircase.