49. I Am You

***
Baze

***

"Why did Halloween have to fall on a Monday of all days?" Maggi moaned in distress, a pale hand on her face as she accepted the cup of juice I just handed her.

"Wait," I sat up in my chair. "You can't come?"

She peeked one green eye open, "I have to work!" Covering her face with both hands this time, she wailed like a wounded animal.

"Oh, I'm sorry," I gave her a sad smile even though she wasn't paying attention. "Is DC going?"

Maggi was slouching in her seat at the picnic table on Alyx's and I's back porch. She uncovered her face to meet my gaze and said, "She's at work, right now and gets off around 4."

The party starts at 7, "Will she be there?"

"Yea," she scowled. "I told her to enjoy it for the both of us since I go in at 6!" Maggi's a firefighter and was able to give us information regarding the report filed on my old house when I had lit it on fire with Jessica's body inside. It was hard to hear that a couple of them had seen Jessica's decapitated body before it turned into ashes. Nico, Cole and Tyler were able to find the firefighters that were present and wiped the memory from their minds.

Worrying my lip, my mind went back to the day her and Latimer had taken me.

"You ok, mama bear?"

Grinning, I nodded at Maggi, "I'm ok. I haven't been to a Halloween party since high school, let alone with shifters so I don't know what to expect. Everyday has been feeling like Halloween so I can't imagine it being that different." We both laughed after my statement.

"Well, we party," she sighed. "They will party while I work," Maggi rolled her eyes. "Ever since Alyx became Alpha our parties have been a little more fun because he's a lot more lenient when it comes to us having a good time." Both of us looked at him when she quickly added, "Not that Andrew was a dictator or anything, he just didn't approve of us drinking to the point where we manage to get drunk and stay drunk!"

My mate and a few of the guys were unpacking things from his truck that was going to help set up the large screen for the scary movie that was going to play before the party starts. He told me last night that they were going to get it from Xavier's house since he has the projector.

"What was he like?"

"Who?" She gave me a curious look when she took a gulp of her juice.

Biting into my sandwich, a sad feeling had settled in my chest. "Andrew."

Her eyes widened before darting to the wooden surface of the  picnic table.

"I never really got the chance to get to know him and..." Sighing, I glanced over to Alyx, "He talks about him sometimes, but not too much. The look in his eyes when he does makes me not want to ask more questions, especially when he stares off at the family pictures in the den on the second floor."

I'd also want to know more about Natalie too so I can tell our kids about her as well. Being raised by Rodrigo and Annika would make it easy for me to tell them what they were like, but me not knowing Alyx's parents...