4. Either Way

Baze

***

It was hard to keep my eyes open. I was in the den with Alyx, Sebastian, Allie and Veronica while the fighter's were still out. Piero took control of the situation as they searched through the city. The remaining fighters are still here securing the border with Alaric's orders.

"Most vampires reside in the north," Veronica informed us. "With winter approaching, vampires can make their way to other lands as they won't be damned to sunlight."

"Do you guy's burn in the sun?" Allie asked.

Sebastian glanced at her. "No, we don't burn. The light can reveal us to humans."

Veronica nodded, "Our eyes will change to the adjusted lighting regardless of what we do or how much control we have."

I wasn't aware of this and turned to Sebastian, "Is that why we wore shades?" When we went out into the city we wore shades. I thought it was to hide our eyes from bloodlust in general, them changing to adjust to lighting is news to me.

He nodded at my question.

"What other things should we know about you guys?" Alyx leaned forward from his chair behind the desk, worried eyes on me.

I looked away from him knowing what he's about to do.

"What do you mean?" Veronica stared at me along with her brother, their gaze burning holes into my forehead.

"Baze, she has been changing."

Sebastian got closer to me, I looked up at him and noticed the concerned expression on his chiseled face. The night he killed Kenneth, we had already discussed that I don't have to drink blood if I didn't want to because I'm not just a vampire. Witches function just like humans, they eat human food. Their diet doesn't consist of blood so mine shouldn't have to.

"How so?"

Alyx answered Veronica's question, "She's been eating things that are really salty--"

"Is that by choice or do you not season well?" Allie laughed.

I stifled a laugh with my eyes on her. They didn't find her remark funny as they saw my eating habits to be important. I was eating saltier foods, but not because I was avoiding blood.

"It's just cravings."

Alyx disagreed, "Your visions have been physically affecting you, too."

"How?" Sebastian's blue gaze was still on me, his question meant for Alyx.

"When she had the vision of Bernard, Julius and Julissa dying, she collapsed to the floor in pain."

"You left that part out when telling us about your vision, Baze," Veronica gave me a sad look, not understanding why I didn't tell them about that.

"It wasn't my mission not to tell you, I was so worried about them that my feelings at the time didn't matter." Sitting up in my spot on the couch, no longer sleepy I continued, "That wasn't the first time I felt the physical aspects of my visions."