Chapter 18

The days following their date made Tim feel like a teenager again. Starting the next morning they had texted each other when they had any downtime – before work and during their lunches. Tim had even texted her once or twice during his shift – something he would have been furious about had he ever seen one of his boot's doing. But he couldn't help it. Something interesting would happen on a call and in his head, he was already figuring out how to describe it to Lucy in a way that would make her laugh.

They had been hanging out every day after work as well. They would grab dinner and then he would walk her to her door and they would kiss until he couldn't see straight. Then he would return home to his place and a very cold shower.

Friday morning when Tim came in, he saw Lucy in the breakroom filling up her coffee mug. He walked up close to her and said "Good morning," quietly next to her ear.

She turned and smiled up at him, "Do you see all this coffee? I need it because I am exhausted. You kept me up way too late last night."

He chuckled quietly, "I'm so sorry. Should I promise not to do it again?"

"Definitely not," she said.

"Well, you still look gorgeous," Tim said, brushing a piece of hair behind her ear. She leaned into his hand and they looked at each other intently.

Behind them they heard someone clearing her throat. They both quickly stepped back from each other and Tim tried to school his face into an innocent expression before turning to face the person who had walked in. His heart dropped when he saw it was Angela. He didn't think she was going to buy it.

"Good morning, you two," she chirped. "Lucy you must be so glad to be back. I know our boy Tim is. I could tell he missed you."

Lucy stared back, wide eyed, "Um, yes, uh...what? Sure. Good to be back. Yes." She turned around and headed for the exit tossing a "Got to head to the briefing!" over her shoulder.

"Quite a girl you have there, Timothy. Are you sure she just got back from undercover training?" Angela raised one eyebrow at him.

"I have no idea what you're talking about. Lucy and I are just friends." Tim found he wasn't able to maintain eye contact with Angela as he lied.

"You know where I picked up take out last night? Rosa's Pizza. And guess who I saw there?" Angela leaned forward a little, her tone challenging.

"Oh," said Tim, striving to sound nonchalant, "Chen and I grabbed some pizza there after work last night."

"Chen? Chen? Son, I know what a date looks like. The two of you were holding hands!"

Tim realized he wasn't going to win this. "Okay. Yes, we are dating. But we aren't ready to tell people at work. So can you please keep it a secret?"

Angela let out a laugh, "Finally! I thought I was going to have to tie the twoof you together and toss you in one of the cells. Congratulations. And your secret is safe with me."