Chapter 9

Tim knew his luck could only hold out for so long, so he wasn't completely surprised when on Monday he was cornered by Angela in the station. "What's up with you lately? You seem...weird."

"Nothing is up with me; I don't know what you're talking about," Tim bluffed.

"Yeah, you do," Angela countered. "Just skip to the part where you tell me."

"Ashley and I broke up. But it's not a big deal." He left the "and I might be in love with Chen" unsaid.

"Really." And that was exactly why he had avoided telling her for so long. She somehow managed to put a dozen layers of meaning into that one word.

Really...I'm not surprised you two were totally wrong for each other.

Really...but I'm kind of amazed you had the balls to do it.

Really...I know this has something to do with Lucy.

Really...I know something happened with you two undercover.

Tim was dying to get away before she could explore any of these currently unsaid topics.

"Yep. It just wasn't right. But we'll still be friends. It's all good." Angela's eyebrows rose, probably because Tim had just uttered the phrase "It's all good." He did his best to start backing away from her – but without attracting her attention. "Anyway, got to get to the shop, talk to you later."

Angela pursed her lips and Tim knew he had absolutely not heard the last of this. "I see you Timothy...I see you..." she called out as he turned tail and hurried to the garage.