Chapter 16

Tim did his job that shift, but even he had to admit he wasn't as focused on it as he usually was. His mind was firmly on Lucy and their date this evening. He didn't think he had been this nervous for a date since high school.

Should he make reservations someplace fancy? Cook for her? He spent most of the morning ruminating on what they should do. Luckily it was a quiet shift but Aaron asked him twice if everything was okay.

He finally decided to take her to a Mexican place he knew Angela went to on date nights. He figured it was nice enough to seem date like but not so nice it would feel awkward.

Finally, after a day that seemed to move at a glacial pace, his shift was over. He texted her once he was done and they agreed they would both shower and meet in the parking lot.

Tim headed straight to the locker room after finishing up. He pulled on his clothes from the morning after the shower – dark jeans, a grey t-shirt and a light blue button down. He went out to the parking lot and leaned against his truck, waiting for Lucy.

A few minutes later he saw her exit the station and he soaked in the moments he had to watch her without her realizing he was staring. Her gorgeous brown hair was down and wavy past her shoulders. She wore a slightly oversized cream sweater and tight jeans and her figure was so gorgeous that for a minute all he could think about was putting his hands all over her.

When she got close to him, he lifted his eyes up to hers and hoped she hadn't seen him lusting after her. "Hey," he said, unable to keep a huge grin off of his face.

"Hey yourself," Lucy replied, looking pretty happy as well.

He opened her door to the truck and then they headed to the restaurant. One of Tim's biggest worries was that dating Lucy would ruin his friendship with her, which over the years had become incredibly precious to him. But he was very pleased to find that their conversation and banter flowed as easily as ever.

Once they were seated at the table, Tim felt his nerves start to kick in. He was on a date. With Lucy. Because he was dating Lucy! It was something he had wanted for so long and he just didn't want to mess it up.

When the waitress came the ordered their food and margaritas and settled into a semi comfortable silence. Finally, Lucy spoke, "So I guess this is happening? You and I? On a date?"

Tim laughed ruefully and leaned forward, touching her hand gently where is rested on the table, "This is happening. We are officially dating. I've wanted this for a long time, Lucy."

Her smile lit up her whole face as she answered, "Me too."