Chapter 6

Tim did not know what to do with the feelings just seeing a text from her did. He was suddenly filled with fluttering in his stomach and extreme nerves. Surely those are not butterflies, he told himself. He was a grown man. He knew how to text with a woman. And this was Lucy, they had texted lots of times.

Just be normal, he told himself, hating that he felt so off kilter

I'm good!

Immediately that seemed wrong. Had he ever used an exclamation point before?

I'm fine. Are you liking UC school?

Okay, that was a normal used of punctuation.

This time he only had to wait a minute until she responded.

It's challenging, but I'm learning a lot. I like the other people here. I'm also a little homesick.

His heart broke a little when he read that. Somehow, he had become someone who couldn't stand for Lucy Chen to be upset even a little. When he had told her to go to UC training in the first place she had looked so hurt; there had even been a sheen of tears in her eyes. It has taken everything in him not to turn back to her and take her in his arms.

Tim: What kind of stuff are you learning? Do you still want to get into UC when you get back?

Lucy: This first week has mainly been about creating fake identities and infiltrating groups. A lot of play acting. Sometimes it feels a little like dinner theater or one of those murder mystery parties.

Tim:...in a good way?

Lucy: Is there a good way to feel like you're in a community theater version of Our Town? I'm sure it's all useful I'm just not entirely sure I'm supposed to be here.

Tim: I'm sure you're doing great.

Lucy: It's not that, honestly, I just miss doing the actual work. Driving around in the squad with you. I don't know how much of my life I want to spend pretending to be someone else. It seems like it works out badly for a lot of people.

Tim: I understand. That was definitely true with Isabel but that doesn't mean it would for you. Like you said maybe you're just homesick? You are probably just missing Tamara and Chris.

Lucy: Not really, Chris and I broke up right before I came here.

Oh.

Oh.