Chapter 14

Tim and Lucy spent the week talking whenever they could between work for him and classes for her. They had discussed some why she wasn't enjoying her UC training as much as she thought, it seemed to be a combination of worrying about losing herself and liking her actual life and job (which she definitely hinted also had to do with liking Tim, much to his delight).

Tim was torn; he wanted Lucy to do whatever was going to make her the happiest but also would hate not seeing her and riding with her, so he just settled for being generally supportive of her feelings.

Friday night they had already been talking for hours while they each made and then ate their dinners. Tim was lying in bed with Kojo when Lucy said, "So, you like me."

Tim laughed at the unexpected change of topic. This was really the first time they had talked about their feelings since last weekend. "I really do."

"Why?" asked Lucy in a teasing tone.

"Why do I like you? Because you're funny and smart and kind. And incredibly good at your job. And gorgeous."

"Those are all good answers," she said. "When did you know you had feelings for me?"

Tim was quiet for a minute, trying to pinpoint the exact time his feelings for her had changed. "I was sad that day you said you had feelings for me, and it was a joke. And I knew I was jealous of Chris. And that time when we went out a double date. But I was really good at pretending they weren't there until you kissed me."

He could hear her smile. "That was a good kiss," she said.

"Now it's your turn," he told her.

"I like you because you are the best man I have ever known. And you are someone I trust completely. And I just love being with you. And I have known I wanted more with you for ages I just honestly thought it would never happen. And whenever I remember what it was like to kiss you, I can't breathe."

"Wow," was all he could manage for a minute.

"Yeah. Wow," she said.

"Hey Lucy?"

"Yes, Tim?"

"I'm really glad you're coming home in a week."

"Me too."