Chapter 12

"Um, I, what?" Tim was legitimately speechless. Then he was filled with a chilling horror. "Is this part of your UC stuff, like that time in the squad?" Remembering that was still painful, the way his heart had leapt when she had said she had romantic feelings for him, until she had started to laugh.

"Tim, no!" she laughed now too, but very gently. "This isn't a joke. I've had feelings for you for a while. It was the reason Chris and I broke up."

"I thought you said that was because it just wasn't right with you guys."

"Yes, Tim, it wasn't right because he wasn't you. And he could tell I had feelings for you. Especially after everything that happened undercover. I don't know how you couldn't tell. Wasn't it a clue when I invited you into my place?"

They were both silent for a moment, remembering the invitation as well as the horror at what had actually been in her living room.

"I thought...I mean I knew you maybe wanted something physical but I thought that was just from playing those UC roles. When I asked you if you felt something you said it was just biology."

"When you asked me that I thought you were accusing me of having feelings when you didn't. So I just blew you off. But then I couldn't stand it anymore so I invited you into my apartment. I still think that was a pretty big sign that I liked you."

"Maybe we should have talked about this earlier instead of just assuming what the other person was thinking," Tim admitted.

"But, wait," said Lucy, more quietly, "now we are all clear about how I feel. But how do you feel?"

Even though Lucy had just told him she had feelings for him, Tim was filled with nerves. Talking about his feelings had never come easy for him and opening up to Lucy, who already knew him so well, made him feel completely exposed.

"I like you, Lucy. I mean I really like you. I have for a while but then when we started getting ready for undercover, when we kissed that night...I just couldn't deny it anymore. And that's why Ashley and I broke up too."

He could hear Lucy's smile down the phone line. "Okay," she said. "So we both like each other. What happens now?"