Part 5

Meredith

WE WERE ALL l huddled in the elevator. Nobody seemed to say a single word, which made things pretty awkward for me. Being in a small boxed, filled with a bunch of people and not a single person talking or making any sort of noise was painfully awkward for me. I hated it. I hated the silence.

"Doctor's always go around packing heat like that?" Daryl asks. It was almost a sigh of relief for him to say something, filling the void of silence.

Jenner peaks over his shoulder and gives us a half smirk.

"There were plenty left lying around. I familiarized myself." He explains. "But you look harmless enough." His eyes turn down to Carl. "Except you. I'll have to keep my eye on you." He says, causing Carl to smile.

Finally, the elevator dings and the doors opened up. Jenner steps out first and he begins guiding all of us down this all and almost narrow hallway. There are doors left and right of us, rectangle lights between all doors that lit up.

"Are we underground?" Carol asks.

"Are you claustrophobic?" Jenner asks.

"A little." Carol responds.

"Try not to think about it." He advises. I turn my head and noticed a door slightly opened. I slow my pace and came to a stop, peaking inside. It was simple room; couch, lamp, counter, mini fridge. It was like a dorm for the people who must've lived here. I poked the door open a little more, looking inside. There's a chair sitting in the corner and I can see a man sitting in it. His eyes turn to me and he shows me a smile. He slowly lifts his hand up and presses his finger against his lips, shushing me. I furrow my brows at this. From everything I'm gathering of this place and Jenner, it seems like he's the only guy here.

I jumped at the sudden touch of my arm and turn my head to see Daryl standing behind me.

"Hey." He says. "Come on. You're falling' behind." He turns away and walks off down the hall. I took a step away from the room, glancing inside of it. The man remained sitting in the chair. He pulls his finger from his lips and gives me a creepy wave.

Jenner guides us all into an opened room. There's a ramp that leads us down to a computer station, all placed in a circle.

"VI, bring up the lights in the big room." Jenner calls out. The lights brighten up, the sound of the power turning on. "Welcome to Zone 5." Jenner says. He continues down the ramp.

"Where is everybody?" Rick asks. "The other doctors, the staff?" Jenner stops in the middle of the computers, turning to us.

"I'm it." He answers. I furrow my brows at his words. It was almost chilling to hear him say those words. I wasn't entirely sure how to make of it.

"How?" I ask. Everyone turns their heads and stare at me. "There was a man sitting in one of the rooms." I explain. Jenner throws me an odd look. It wasn't until I realized that everybody was.

Oh, here we go again...

"You've all been out there for some time, huh?" Jenner asks.

"Uh, she's a little new to our group. She was out there all alone longer than any of us." Rick explains. I inhaled deeply, clearing my throat.