Part 29

Daryl

I ran through a field, tracking down Merle and Michonne. I had come to an open field, seeing some walkers. It took a moment to realize Michonne was in the field taking them out.

"Hey." I call, approaching her. "Where's my brother. You kill him?" I ask. She shakes her head.

"He let me go." She says. I look down, wondering where he had gone off to. Only an idea had popped into my head. I knew he'd go after the Governor himself.

"Don't let anyone come after me." I tell her. I pull away and run across the field. I had followed through the field til I came to a familiar spot. It was the place we first met with the Governor. He wanted Rick to meet him two days after that day to deliver Michonne to him. This is where we are.

I walk between the tall grain containers, seeing a few groups of walkers munching on dead bodies. I began to wonder what had happened here. I could tell from the looks of everything, people were attacked either by walkers or somebody did this. Which got me to thinking, Merle wants the Governor dead. So maybe he let Michonne go...but went to take out the Governor himself.

I picked up the pace and run up behind a walker, shooting it in the head with my crossbow. The bod slumps over and I easily retrieve my arrow. I turn my eyes and spotted another walker, hunched over, chewing away at what looked like a younger guy. I stopped in my tracks when I realized the walker seemed familiar. The walker slowly lift it's head up, chewing away as it locks eyes with me. I trail my eyes down it's body, seeing a hole in the chest.

Merle was a walker. Merle stands up and stumbles over the dead body below him. He grows closer and closer to me, and I felt my body begin curling into myself. I could feel my 10 year old self feeling scared and helpless and alone as he grows closer to me. All I wanted was to wake up from this nightmare and find my big brother yelling at me to get my ass up and ready to go do whatever we were gonna do today. But I knew it wasn't ever gonna happen. I don't wanna kill Merle. I don't wanna kill my brother. But I wouldn't want any other person to do it for me. It's gotta be me. I don't want it to, but it's got to.

Merle gets too close and I drop my crossbow and arrow, throwing my hands out and pushing him back. He comes back again and I push him back. Merle slowly turns to me, eyes locked on me, wanting me to become his dinner. I throw my hands out, pushing him back. As he stumbles around and slowly turns for me once again, I reach down and grab my knife.

Merle approaches me and I throw my forearm into his neck and pushed him down, straddling over his body and jabbing the blade into his face. A rush of anger and adrenaline flows through my veins and I began stabbing him over and over again. All the memories with Merle flashing through my head. All the laughs, the rare heart to heart moments, all the anger, terror, embarrassment. Everything with Merle was playing through my head.

I threw myself off of him and landed on my back, letting out cries. I inhaled deeply, looking up at the sky before pulling myself up and looking at his dead body. I anger and heartbreak filled my chest.

I returned back to the prison. Seeing how things are, it would've taken an idiot to figure out the Governor hadn't killed this place. Once everyone heard or saw my presence, they all lined up at the fence, waiting for me. Carol and Carl unlocked the chains and pulled the gat open for me. Everyone's eyes were focused on me, waiting for me to say something, anything about what had happened. They all got their answer when they found me not answering them.

Meredith approaches me first and she looks me in the eyes. I couldn't help but break down again. She stands up on her toes and wraps her arms around my neck tightly as she allowed me to cry in her neck. I brought my hands up to her, holding her tightly. My knees almost buckled in, wanting to drop and cry. But somehow, Mer had the strength to keep me standing.