Part 24

Daryl

"She'll understand."

It was a complete and total lie I convinced myself. Merle and I...it was always Merle and I. Before the group. Before Rick. Even Mer. Nothing really seems to change that. I didn't wanna leave everyone, especially Mer. She had told me she wasn't okay, probably won't be for a while. I had promised her I wouldn't disappear on her. And yet, I did. I don't wanna miss her. It's Merle and I. Always have. Always will be.

It's been about a day since Merle and I parted. We've been in the woods, lying low. Making sure the Governor won't come after us-if he does. Merle and I were pitted against each other- fight to the death. We only escaped 'cause of Rick. Still, Merle and I killed people. Lost Oscar. Glenn and Mer were hurt pretty badly. But they made it home. Who knows, maybe the Governor decided to leave 'em alone. One can hope.

"Hold up, baby brother." I turn my head and see Merle walking over to tree. "It's time to release the load." He sighs, pulling his zipper down and takin a piss by a tree. I walk to another and leaned against it, keeping my back to Merle. Ever since this morning, we've only been walking. We haven't found any squirrels, no rabbits. Not even a sign of bids.

"There ain't nothin out here but mosquitos and ants." I point out. Merle might be an ass, and he might be everyone's enemy back home...but I wanna go back, I do. I miss everyone and it's only been not even a full 24 hours yet. If we show up back to the prison, Rick and everyone will just have to get over themselves of living with him. I ain't leavin' them, I ain't leavin' Merle.

"Patience, little brother." Merle calls. "Sooner or later, a squirrel is bound to scurry across your path."

"Even so, that ain't much food." I say.

"More than nothin'." He claims.

"I'd have better luck going through one of them houses we passed back on the turnoff." I shrug.

"Is that what your new friends taught you? Hmm?" Merle asks. "Or was it little miss Shirley?" I frown at the name, only to realize he was talking about Mer.

"We've been at it for hours." I say. "Why don't we find a stream, try to look for some fish?" I ask.

"I think you're just trying to lead me back to the road, man." He says. "Get me over to that prison."

"They got shelter." I shrug. "Food. Pot to piss in. Might not be a bad idea." Merle chuckles.

"Shirley got the rope on you, don't she?" He asks. "Never seen you so caught up in the cat before, baby brother. Must be authentic." I roll my eyes at him.

"She ain't like that, bro." I shook my head.

"Sure she is." He nods. "I remember my first time. Hard to let go, but you'll find another soon. Found myself one to hit during my nights back at Woodbury. Mm. She was good. I'll miss her for sure."

"Meredith ain't somebody you toy with, Merle." I argue. "She's...been through some stuff, but she's strong. She don't take bullshit from nobody, stands her ground, does what's right."

"Women like that are broken in the inside." Merle says. "They put on a show, just so when their alone with somebody, they wanna break down, act all...sad, scared and lonely just to get their own fix. They use you. It's better you two aren't together. She won't put her bullshit on you, bring you down with her."

"If she turns out broken, it starts with you." I utter, shaking my head.

"You got somethin' you wanna say out loud?" I turn my head and see Merle approaching me. "You know better than to mutter words. You got shit to say, say it louder, son." He growls. Merle's demeanor causes a little bit of fear in me. I wanted to tell him off, tell him how wrong he is about Mer. But I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I swallowed hard and shook my head.