Part 55

Meredith

I RAN THROUGH the streets, targeting all the intruders. I made sure to keep myself hidden from the people. I was close to getting home. I made sure to keep my eye out for Harley, just in case he ran outside. 

"Please don't. Please, please, please!" I ran around to the backyard and find a man attacking Samantha. The man stabs her in the chest and I raise my gun to the back of the intruders head and fired it. His body falls with a thud and I quickly grab Samantha. I held her close to me as she sobbed in my arms. I comforted her as much as I could before jabbing my blade into the back of her head. I knew she wasn't going to make it. A horn suddenly fills the air and I look in every direction for the source. I knew that going after the sound and not checking on Harley wouldn't help with anything.

I left Samantha's body behind as I ran around to the street. I ran up to the front door and barge inside. 

"Harley?" I call. I ran straight up stars and barged into his room, finding it empty. "Harley!" I call. I walk over to my bedroom and opened the door. I turn to the corner of the room and found Harley curled up in the corner, gun aimed and pointed.

"Mom?" He huffs out.

"You're okay." I huff out, kneeling down and wrapping him in my arms.

"What's happening?" He asks.

"People are attacking us." I inform him. "We're gonna-" The sound of glass breaking downstairs pulls our attention. I raised my finger up to my lips, silencing him. I look down, pointing to the bed. "Get under there, go." I whisper. Harley slowly moves himself under the bed. I walk over to the door and step out, shutting it quietly. 

I slowly made my way down the stairs, keeping my gun aimed, eyes and ears sharp. I enter the kitchen, keeping myself pinned to the wall as I slowly made my way to the living room. I hear something fall and I froze in my tracks. I peak around the corner and see one of the people rummaging through our things. I slowly raised my gun up and aimed at the person.

Without warning, something thin wrapped around my neck. I drop my gun and knife, trying to dig my fingers under the weapon around my neck. 

"I got her! I got her!" The man shouts behind me. I force myself on my feet and stood up, trying to dip myself under the wire. I hear fast approaching footsteps and see the other one running towards me. I jump up and kick him in his chest. The man flies back and slams on the ground. I let out gasps and coughs, kicking and swinging us around to free myself. 

The man behind me pulls back harder, the wire tightening around my neck. The man finally releases me and slams me to the ground, kicking at my body. I finally grab hold of my knife and swing up, slicing him in the throat. The man gurgles and gasps, grabbing at his neck before collapsing to the ground. 

I turn my head and see the other getting back up and chasing after me. I turn around and run through the hall. His body tackles mine and we fall to the ground. My knife slips from my hand and slides across the floor. I kicked the man in the face, turning on my stomach and crawling after my knife. The man grabs onto my ankles and drags me away. 

"Let me go!" I growl through gritted teeth. I punched and elbowed him in the head. He grabs my wrists, slams them down before placing his knees on my arms, pinning them. He leans over and snatches up my knife, immediately holding it to my throat.

"Damn." He huffs out. "A damn shame I gotta kill you. You're a pretty little thing, aren't ya?" He asks.

"Go to hell." I growl. 

"I'll race you there." He winks. A loud bang fills the room and his body falls ontop of me. I wriggle my way from under him and pull myself up, looking to see Harley running over to me.