Part 13

Daryl

I HELD ONTO the arrow as I crawled my way through the water, getting to the steep side of the water. I climbed over to the shore and stopped myself, kneeling down. I pull my knife out and cut the sleeves of my shirt. I easily tied them together and wrapped it around my body. I braced myself, ready for the pain as I tightened the sleeves to slow the bleeding from the arrow. I huffed out air and turned my head to the large cliff. Of course I'd land 50 feet of the cliff. Walking back would only take longer and I need to get back to get this treated. Oh, this is gonna be great.

I found a long stick and picked it up. I pulled myself to my feet and put some weight on the stick, testing it out. It's strong enough to help me climb up. I paused to the sudden sound of rustling. I look in the direction it came from. I reached back for my crossbow but found it missing. I turn to the spot I had landed and knew it was somewhere in the water.

I poked the ground with the stick, feeling for my crossbow. The stick hits something hard and I dip my hands under the water, touching the hard object. I felt around and noticed it was my crossbow. I easily pull it from below the surface and held it up.

Climbing up the cliff was a lot harder than I had anticipated. With the weight of the crossbow, how weak my body was and how much pain I was in, it made it harder. Still, I was determined to make it to the top.

I was only inches away from the top. I gripped onto the tree and dropped the stick, feeling that I didn't need it anymore. I look down and saw how far up I was. Almost there. I turn my attention back to the top and try swinging for the other tree a little higher up. My body hesitates, nervous that I'd fall back down to the bottom.

"Oh, come on." I huff out. "You've done half. Stop bein' such a pussy." I scoff at myself. I finally swing out and grab onto the other tree. Immediately, the dirt under my feet begins giving way. I stepped all over the place, trying to find a sturdy spot. Everything crumbled away. My feet slip and I fall back. My hand slips from the tree and I found myself free falling down the cliff again. I slam to the ground and I immediately close my eyes, drifiting off to unconsciousness.

Meredith

I jolt awake, feeling my heart pounding in my chest. I huff out a breath and shook my head. I am getting sick and tired of these nightmares. So much just goes on in my head, I feel like I can never control it. Well, that is an obvious one when you have a mental disorder...illness...what the hell ever.

"You okay?" I turn my head and see Glenn standing in the kitchen doorway.

"Uh...Yeah. I'm good." I answer. I knew I've been asleep for about an hour or two. I doubt Daryl is back yet. I pull myself from the couch and walked out to get some fresh air.

"Hey, Reece." I turn my head and see T-Dog approaching me. "Wanna go get some water?" He asks. "Maybe help Hershel with the cows?"

"Sure. Sounds occupying enough." I nodded. While Daryl is out, sitting around and resting is something I can't even tolerate. If I'm up and moving, whether with an injured foot or not, I'm doing what I wanna do.

T-Dog and I went off to the well to retrieve some more water. After filling up everyone's water bottles and such, we walked over to the field where the cows lived their lives. Must be nice being a cow. Nothing to worry about, just eating and drinking, sleeping. Great. Now I'm jealous of cows.

"Thanks for your help." Hershel greets. "Meredith, are you sure you wanna do this? Your foot." he says.

"Oh, yeah. I need to work." I nodded.

"Alright. Well, don't push it. But anyways, there's a baby cow over by the pond. Mind fetching him over here? Don't worry, mom passed a week ago. She won't charge at you." I turn my head to the large pond. I felt a bead of sweat rolling down my forehead and the sudden fear taking over.