Part 52

Daryl

I SLURPED UP a mouthful of spaghetti. I was probably enjoying this a little too much. Like I said, I haven't had this in a long, long while. I let out a grunt, swallowing the food.

"Thanks." I thank Eric and Aaron. I wipe my mouth on my sleeve, taking a sip of the water. I grab the white napkin and wiped my mouth again.

"Mmm!" Eric hums. "When you're out there, if you happen to be in a store or something, Mrs. Neudermyer is really looking for a paster maker. And we're all really trying to get her to shut up about it. I mean, we have crates of dried pasta in here, but she wants to make her own or something. I really think she just wants something to talk about, so..." Eric smiles at me. "if you see one out on your travels, it would go a long way to..." He gives me an odd look, who I gave him an odd look. He looks down before turning to Aaron, smiling. "I thought it was done." He utters quietly. "You didn't ask him already?" I turn my head and look at Aaron, who smiled and looked down.

"Ask me what?" I frown.

"Come on." Aaron waves me over. We get up from the table and I follow him through the house. He guides me to a door and opens it up. I flips the switch on and reveals a workshop of something I knew all too well. There's a body of a bike hoisted up, a thick coverage on top of it. Around on the walls and table, were the pieces and tools for the bike specifically.

"When I got the place, there was that frame and some parts and equipment." Aaron begins. "Whoever lived here built them." I pick up a side mirror, looking around.

"It's a lot of parts for one bike." I say.

"Whenever I came across any parts out there, I brought them back." Aaron explains. "I didn't know what I'd need. I always thought I'd learn how to do it, but I get the feeling you already know what to do with it." I walk over to the bike and lift up the cover. Hearing Aaron claiming he thinks I know what to do with it, caused me to look at him. I was a little excited to know that he thought about me to work on this thing. 

"And the thing is, you're going to need a bike." Aaron continues. I turn my head and stare at him.

"Why?" I ask him.

"I told Deanna not to give you a job because I think I have one for you." He says. "I'd like you to be Alexandria's other recruiter. I don't want Eric risking his life anymore." I nodded my head.

"You want me risking mine, right?" I lightly tease him.

"Yeah, because you know what you're doing." He nods. "You're good out there. But you don't belong out there. I know it's hard getting used to people getting used to you. And I understand right now you need to be out there sometimes. So do I. But the main reason why I want you to help me recruit is because you do know the difference between a good person and a bad person." I look him in the eyes, nodding my head.

"You forget I got a girlfriend and a teenage son?" I ask him. Aaron huffs out a small breath, nodding his head.

"Funny you say that...uh, Meredith was the one who came up with this idea." He says. "Well, we both did. She wanted me to take all the credit, but I just couldn't do that." He shakes his head. I let out a snort, of course Mer would do something like that. Nonetheless, I nodded my head.

"I got nothin' else to do." I agree to being his recruiter. "Thanks. I'll get you some rabbits." I tell him. Aaron let's out a laugh.

"Great." He nods.

Meredith

I Harley and I walked Daryl out of the house. He was going on a run with Aaron today. It looks like my plan had worked. Aaron talked to Deanna, got her to give Daryl the recruiter job. Now, that's where Aaron and Daryl are going. Aaron reassured me that they'd be back by tomorrow. The latest, three days incase of anything.