Part 41

Meredith

We walked miles and miles from Terminus. We had stopped a few times to get something to eat and drink, rest a little bit before getting back at it. We've been walking for maybe about two days now. Tomorrow, it will be day two technically. By the time the sun was setting, Rick wanted to set up camp for the night. The fire was burning, the conversations were light and quiet, but still, it felt so, so good to be back with my family again.

We've got new faces. Abraham, Rosita, Eugene. They are on some sort of mission to get Eugene back to Washington. Supposedly, he knows what caused all of this, but he won't tell us. As if the secret of what went airborne and brings dead people back is so secretive. Whatever I guess.

Then, there's Tara. She was there with the Governor when he showed up at the prison. After everything happened, Glenn found her on his way to escape and he saved her. She saved him. They saved each other. Without either of them, I don't think either one of them would be here with us right now.

I leaned against a tree, chewing away at tonight's dinner. I turn my head to see Rick approaching me with a bowl of dinner for himself.

"I owe you everything." He softly tells me. I shook my head at him.

"You owe Tyreese." I correct him. "He was at the prison." I explain. Rick nods his head.

"You got back there." He says. I look down, digging in my pocket as I remembered his watch. I pull it from my pocket and held it up to him. He furrows his brows.

"It was in one of their storerooms." I explain.

"I saw them kill him." Rick says. "That kid." He takes his watch back happily. And he pulls his hand up, holding up the watch I had given him when we parted ways.

"Mmhmm." I shook my head. Rick looks down and he takes a step closer to me, closing up the gap between us.

"I still don't know about what you did..." He says quietly. "but I know you knew some things I didn't. I sent you away to this-"

"You said I could survive." I reminded him. "You were right." Rick nods his head.

"I send you away to this and now we're joining you." He claims. "Will you have us?" He asks. A small smile forms over my lips and I happily nodded to his question. "Thank you." He says. He gives my shoulder a squeeze before walking away. I blew out a huff of air, turning my head and seeing Harley approaching me.

"Did you get something to eat?" I ask him.

"Uh, yeah." He nods.

"Good." I say. "Get the chance to talk to Rick?" He glances over to Rick, shaking his head before turning back to me. I furrow my brows at him. "Why not?" I ask.

"'Cause..." He frowns at me. "dude's scary looking." I let out a small snort, shaking my head.

"He's not scary." I tell him. "He's a really cool guy once you get to know him." I explain. "And...he only seems that way is because he's done things. Things you never thought you'd ever have to do. He's done those things to keep his people and his family alive. And...well, sometimes it changes you. For better or for worse." Harley nods his head. "Finish eating and get to bed. We're gonna be up pretty early to start the move." I tell him. He nods his head and walks off to the side. I turn my head and spotted Daryl sitting over on the side. I picked up my feet and walk over to him, sitting down and joining his side.

For a while, Daryl didn't say anything. Didn't look at me, didn't try doing anything to spark a conversation. At least that's what I thought. He was resting his chin on his crossbow. And he lightly rocked side to side. I let out a sigh, turning my eyes and giving him a side look. I could see him staring at me now. He had a look of waiting for me to talk to him about killing Karen and David. I guess he wants to know my point of view. I get it. I'd wanna know, too. But...it's in the past. The prison is gone. There isn't anything else to talk about or debate. And...really, what I did, it's for me for my own understanding. What I did, I thought it was right. I don't like myself for killing two innocent lives. Neither of them deserve it. Talking about it just makes me feel worse.