Part 39

Daryl

I sat in the middle of the road, feeling myself completely give up. Beth and I were staying in a house last night. Everything was seeming fine, going the way it was going, but then walkers showed up. I told Beth to run out to the road and wait there til I met her out there. When I escaped the house, her bag was left on the ground and a car with a white cross on the back window was speeding off. I followed all the roads it made, hoping to catch up with 'em. But I had come to a stop when I came to a four-way. I had no lead on where to go from there. I had no way of telling which way they even went. All I know is...Beth is gone.

A group of guys found me. Type of guys I'm kinda like. The leader, Joe, he's been welcoming, been explaining things to me and all. Mentioned they were looking for a guy who killed somebody of theirs. Didn't think much of it. Probably some random guy they wanna kill for revenge.

There's a guy- was- named Len. He was a huge pain in my ass. All he ever tried to do was pick a fight with me. Remember how I said there was things Joe was explaining to me? They say this one word, 'claimed.' You say it, whatever you spot, it's yours. Doesn't matter if it's a bed, a car, a rabbit, don't matter. It's yours and nobody can take it away from you. Len tried taking my rabbit. Joe cut it in half so we both could have a share. Later, Len tried making it look like I stole his half. Joe knew, Joe saw him plant it in my bag. So...when you get caught in a lie, you get the fists. Literally. Joe had all his guys beat Len. To death.

Since then, I knew being with these guys, I don't belong with 'em. I knew I needed to figure something out to get away from 'em. I'm quiet on my feet. I can easily sneak away. It's just a matter of how and when. Joe's really interested in me. Probably 'cause I'm the new guy. Wants to get to know me, how I roll, how I act, how I do and shit.

The night fell and I trailed behind the others. Joe was up in the front, guiding everyone else. I could hear them talking about seeing a campfire in the road just fifty feet away from us. Once we got closer, they confirmed it was the guy they were looking for. I remained back, watching all of 'em move in on the people sitting at the campfire. I turned my back, taking this opportunity to get away from them. But I just couldn't shake the feeling that maybe I should see what their gonna do. What Joe's gonna do.

I walk out of the forest and walked around the truck. As I presented myself, I could see two people sitting on the ground, guns to their heads. It was like almost all the wind was knocked out of me. I was excited, I was relived, but I was becoming nervous reading the situation. It's Rick and Michonne.

"Joe." I call. He was counting down, ready to pull the trigger and kill Rick. Rick's eyes turn to me and I knew by the look on his face he was greatly confused as to why I was with these people. "Hold up."

"You're stopping me on eight, Daryl." Joe frowns at me.

"Just hold up." I softly say, standing in front of Rick and Michonne.

"This is the guy that killed Lou, so we got nothing to talk about." One of the guys claims.

"The thing about nowadays is we got nothing but time." Joe says. "Say your piece, Daryl."

"These people...you're gonna let 'em go." I tell him. "These are good people." Joe holds a stare with me for a moment.

"Now, I-I-I think Lou would disagree with you on that." He says. "I'll, of course, have to speak for him and all 'cause your friend here strangled him in a bathroom."

"You want blood, I get it." I nodded. I lean down and dropped my crossbow. I stood straight, holding my hands out to my sides. "Take it from me, man." I offer. Joe holds an astonished look.