Chapter 2: First Job

Stepmother told me about this job opening at the bakery. I agreed to it because it would definitely get me out of the house most of the time. I was to report to work after school during the week days. I had my weekends off. But I wouldn't mind working those days too. Anything to get out of the house for a long period of time.

    Everyone who came to that bakery to buy their goods loved me and many of the employees envied me. I don't know why. But only one was jealous and that of course was Ronnie.

    "Excuse me." The little pig tailed girl said to me as i looked over the counter.

    "Yes?" I answered her. She was the cutest thing. She wore a blue and white dress that went to her knees and white flip flops. Her lashes were long and her hair was curly in pigtails. She looked at me with her big hazel eyes. I smiled at her.

    "Can you help me find my mommy?" She asked while starting to get teary eyed. I hated to see people cry, especially young children.

    I came from behind the counter and knelt down to her level and patted her head. I smiled at her. She looked at me wiping her tears. "Of course I will." I spoke in a soft and gentle tone so that she would feel a little safer.

    She smiled slightly and then turned her head. "Somewhere in the parking lot." She then frowned and looked back at me.

    I stood up and took the little girls hand and we walked out into the parking lot. I don't understand how her mother could lose her daughter. Especially in a parking lot. I mean shouldn't she of been holding her little girls' hand? Honestly.

We looked all over the parking lot but we still didn't see her. I sighed and decided to call the police. But before I even dialed 911, i heard a cry from a woman. The little girl turned and saw a woman screaming out mommy. I smiled as they hugged each other. The woman thanked me and gave me $50 dollars for finding her daughter. Wow, I was so lucky.

    I made my way back into the bakery and Ronnie was leaning against the counter watching my every move. "Wow, big hero." she said sarcastically.

    I rolled my eyes at her sly comment and i went behind the counter to wait for more costumers. But no more people came in so, it was eventually closing time and we were the last employees in the bakery. We didn't realize it at first but we were locked in. I guess the manager forgot to give one of us the keys.

    "Yo this door is locked!" Ronnie shouted.

    "What? Don't you have a key or something?" I said and looked in the draws of the cabinets.    

    "Uh, no. I thought you had one!" She groaned.

    "Oh well." I said and sat on the counter. Honestly i didn't mind being locked in their because there's nothing good to come at home. I rather be locked in here with her then at home with that low life son of a bitch.

    "Oh well? Oh well?! Are you fucking kidding me?!" She shouted and started to get in my face.

    "Back up!" I shouted back at her I shoved her out of the  way and started walking to the back room.

    She must of gotten pissed of, because she grabbed my wrist and threw me to the wall, I hit my back against it then she pinned me. I looked at her with disbelief.

    "Girl, don't fucking test me." She said digging her nails in my wrists.

    Her nails really hurt me and I began to cry. I hated pain and this pain didn't add up to the pain that man has caused me, but it stung. "Owww, stop. You're hurting me." I cried.

    She let go realizing that she used too much strength and made me bleed. She took off her apron and grabbed another apron and covered my wrists with it. "Sorry...." She trailed off and disappeared into the back room.

    I followed her. She was sitting on the bench by the lockers where most of the employees put their stuff by on their shifts. I sat next to her. "Why do you hate me so much?" I asked and gave her an innocent look.

    She looked at me then at my wrists. "I don't." She responded and scooted away.

    "You sure as hell act like you hate me. I mean... look what you did to me." I held up my wrists and she looked away. I knew she regretted what she had done.

    "I'm sorry okay? I have anger issues." She grunted her teeth.

    "I see that. But still you need to learn to control that. Other wise, no one will want to be with you." I said then got up.

    I knew we would be here all night. I went into the kitchen and grabbed a loaf of cheese bread with jalapeno peppers in it. mmm, my favorite kind of bread. I walked back over to her and gave her half. Guess this was our dinner tonight.

    I woke up laying on Ronnie, as soon as i realized that I jumped up and she starting waking up. I ran into the other room and stood behind the counter. Boy was I a mess. I don't remember what happened last night and I hope she doesn't either, what if she did something? Ughhh, I hope not.

    Our manger walked in with a bright smile. "You're hear super early. Did you sleep well?" she asked.

    "Uh...not really. We were locked in..." I explained.

    She looked very surprised and gave us both the day off since we didn't get much sleep. She really didn't even need us today. So as soon as i got home I locked myself in my own room and went to sleep. But 30 minutes later, there was a loud banging on my bedroom door. No. No. Please. Leave me alone.