⤷thirty three

out of the three promoting units, mark's was the 'main' one. therefore, while the other units had finished work and were relaxing at the dorm or catching up, he was yet to arrive back. donghyuck knew there was an hour left until he got back, so for the first thirty minutes, he caught up with some of the members that shared the same birth year.

   he talked with sungchan and shotaro for a while before finding renjun and taeil, two of his favorite people. "why do you look so sad?" renjun had asked him. "he probably misses mark. they haven't been apart for this long since they joined the company," taeil explained.

   after talking with them for another fifteen minutes, donghyuck returned to his room, hoping to see jaehyun and confide in him. unfortunately, he wasn't there. excited chatter errupted from the living room but he wasn't in the mood. having nothing to do and not really wanting to talk to anyone, donghyuck crept to mark's room, planning to steal a shirt and leave. despite trying to stick to the plan, after rummaging through mark's closet, things didn't turn out the way he expected.

"hyuck?"

---

   "great job everyone," taeyong said first, bowing at a ninety degree angle. the rest of the members bowed too and the staff clapped, showering praises. mark was genuinely grateful for their hard work but he wanted nothing more than to be back at the dorms already.

   mark had just finished wiping off his makeup when, "we're running a little behind schedule," his manager said from his side. "the cars are ready outside." mark was thrilled to hear that, running a hand through his blue hair. "let's get going then," his manager said once the word was spread to everyone. the members and their managers walking past the staff that helped with the event, eventually successfully leaving the building.

   just as usual, they loaded into three cars. the wayv members headed to the wayv dorm and everyone else, to the 127 dorm. in mark's car was doyoung and johnny. doyoung sat in the very front, in the passenger's seat. meanwhile, mark and johnny sat together in the back. "excited," johnny asked in english once the car had started moving at he noticed mark's busy fingers. whether he was playing with his hair, tapping his thigh, or cracking his knuckles, he couldn't stop moving.

   "was it that obvious?" mark answered. the elder smiled, nodding his head, "it's okay. i'm the same way when i haven't had my coffee." mark had to laugh at that as he suddenly felt grateful that it was johnny who sat in the seat next to him. after all, he had always felt close with him from when he joined the company and johnny had helped him out a lot.

   "honestly, i'm impressed," johnny spoke up again. "with what?" mark couldn't help but wonder. "idols these days break up so easily. you know what happened with baekhyun hyung and taeyeon sunbaenim or hyuna sunbaenim and dawn sunbaenim. you and haechan have been apart for three months and you're still together," he pointed out. the canadian bit back a smile, getting a feeling of pride.

   the thought of breaking up with donghyuck never really crossed his mind. and even if they were to breakup, he would still expect donghyuck to be a part of his life. it just seemed obvious that they would be together no matter what. 

they were soulmates

   as cringey or cliché as it might sound, that's what mark believed. as if he made a promise to the younger, he knew he would never leave him behind. whatever their relationship became of, donghyuck was such a big part of his life that he knew he couldn't easily leave behind. 

   "it was hard," mark finally said, memories of the past months flashing through his mind. "that's what she said," johnny interrupted, laughing at his own joke while mark shook his head in disbelief before continuing. "but i knew we could do it." "i never doubted you for a second," johnny added. though mark didn't say anything after that, johnny's words really meant a lot to him.