Chapter 62

Margaret

Our encounter felt awkward and weird. 

And while I was happy to see him, it didn't feel like he shared the sentiment. 

I realized that when I spoke to him. He changed his posture immediately as soon as I asked him about his job, but I just wanted to make conversation. Perhaps he has returned to his old ways of being an absolute asshole to everyone he meets.

"Margaret wait. "

Ace called me when I was about to go out of the bar.

"Can I drive you home, please? "

In annoyance, I turned around.

"No Ace, thank you. I know that you will want to insist, and I know that you have some questions that need answering. However, I believe that I don't owe you anything, and you clearly think that you do not owe me anything too. Let's leave it at that. "

Ace gently wrapped his fingers around my arm, and I didn't pull away.

"It's not that you owe me anything or I owe something to you. I thought that we went past the debts, and we formed a connection deeper than that."

I placed a firm hand on his shoulders.

"You are right, we did. But, I cannot just spend my time with the person who continues to facilitate the downfall of this country. If I stay with you, I feel like I will betray myself, and most importantly, I will betray my daughter. I will betray kids like Rosie who don't have an opportunity to go to the goddamn orphanage and are left begging on the street. I will betray all those people that still continue to call me, frantically begging me to save them."

He swallowed because of my words, uncomfortably shifting in place.

"So you see, I cannot be with someone like you for more than enough reasons, no matter how much I care about you. I have understood your reasons, and I ask for the same courtesy."

He lowered his head in shame.

"Look Margaret I am sorry that I haven't changed anything yet, but you have ... "

Pulling out of his grasp, I moved away from him. 

"Ace... it's okay. You don't need to justify yourself to me. Really, "

"No, it's not okay! Let's just talk, please. "

"Good night Ace. "