Chapter 27

Margaret

The morning came sooner than I had hoped. With dawn, the city was washed with a sickly color of honey, obscured by a thinner blanket of smog and pollution than usual, probably because of the rain. At this time, I would probably see pigeons or crows, but they were all long gone. Poisoned and killed out of paranoia that someone will train them to send messages outside of the city. 

I spent the night near an abandoned store, seeking shelter from the rain and possibly looking like a homeless person. After the incident at my apartment, going back to it would be a mistake, and I didn't have enough credits to pay for a room. 

Hugging my knees, the look of disappointment that he has given me last left to replay in my brain. 

He seemed genuinely hurt, and for the life of me, I didn't understand why that bothered me or the fact that I have given this so much thought.

Did he really deserve my offensive remarks anymore? Is redemption achieved through a single selfless deed, if selfishness is all one has known? 

When the rain finally stopped I started walking aimlessly, before spotting a child beggar sitting at the corner of the street, enwrapped in a single brown and thin blanket.  

"Spare credits ?" 

Her soiled blonde hair and bloodshot sapphire-blue eyes led me to believe that she was probably has been here for a while. She looked at least six years old. 

"Where are your parents?"

She didn't respond. 

"What is your name?"

"Rosie." Weakly she responded, her small heart-shaped lips frostbitten. 

Child beggars never sat right with me. She should be out in a playground, laughing carelessly instead of doing this. 

"Rosie, I will give you 200 credits to take me to your parents."

Her eyes shot wide, the conflict brought up inside of her with the temptation of my offer. As she rose up, I could see that she wore a thin pink jacket and pale blue leggings. 

"Do you promise?"

"Yes, Rosie I promise."

True to her word, the girl led me by the hand to a run-down orange building, with bullet holes from the last war still presented in its facade. Even though most windows were smashed up, it didn't air out the hallway that smelled of urine. As we made our way deeper into the building, I could see that the darkness within was battled with flashlights on the floor. Stained mattresses are placed near the walls in no particular order. 

"Do you live here Rosie?"

Rosie was either terribly quiet or sincerely shy because she didn't answer.

Moments later, I found myself in a large basement, with at least five kids that were around her age. None of them was in any better state than the other. Most wore old and soiled clothes that were either too large or too small for them, some even barefoot. 

My blood boiled at the sight, but I wasn't about to scare them with the fury within. Instead, I gently nodded at them as they all stared at me, the stranger making my way into their home.

Finally, I was greeted by the sight of a rather plump lady and a skinny man. Older than me, but still vital. Still capable of working. The woman wore a wide stretched-out black top and plain jeans. Both of their long auburn colored hairs seemed much cleaner than the children's ones.  

The mattresses that I assumed were theirs looked newer than those of the children in the hallway, but still disgusting.

"How many times did I tell you? If you don't bring at least 100 credits, you shouldn't come home!"