Chapter 32

Margaret

He was looking into my eyes in search of emotion, but never once did he wince at my blade. His head was raised high as if royalty was just about to be executed. 

"If I am to die right now, at least I have someone to witness it and I will not be alone. But know that if death will bring peace to you, if it will redeem me somehow, then don't think about it and just do it."

Peace? If anything it brings turmoil to my soul. 

"Nothing will ever redeem what you and people like you have done to me."

He nodded but still remained frighteningly calm against my blade, and only his Adam's apple made a casual jump here and there. 

"Alright, close your eyes."

I ordered, but that made him smile. 

"Close my eyes? Really?"

"Yes."

"No. No, I won't. If you are going to take my life, I want to look at you as long as possible before I am plunged into the world of darkness. And I want you to keep your eyes on me when you do it."

"Why?"

"Because I want to be the witness of when another you is born."

"You know nothing about who I am. Why would you even care about that?"

"I know as much as you have allowed me to, and I unveiled more about myself to you than to anyone else. The fact that you have trusted me with your secret also means something."

"It means nothing Ace." 

His eyes widened. 

"You called me by my name."

"Yes. Yes, I have."

"I wish I could have heard more of my name from your lips. Even in hatred, it sounded beautiful when you said it."

I snickered at that. 

"Are you flirting with me now?"

A guilty but also mischievous look spawned on his face.

"Come on, I am about to be executed. Cant I at least have a little bit of fun ?"

"Is this your kink? Geez." 

 I found him weirdly amusing. He chose the worst possible time.

"Dunno. I think it's starting to be."

He smiled, but then he closed his eyes as if he was accepting his fate, and I refocused on his throat.

Was it right for me to do this? Was it right for me to judge him? Was it ever right of me to judge anyone?

In a blink a vision of his throat slashed showed up, the blood smeared over my clothes. The acid in my mouth, ears buzzing in a high pitch. My breath hitched, dizziness overcoming me. 

"Are you okay Margaret?"

There was no air. No matter how much I breathed in, it was not enough. The lungs inside of me were not large enough, feeling as though they were collapsing inside of themselves. My sights started narrowing to a tunnel vision. 

Before I knew it, I was being pulled out of the car by my arm, and the moment I got out, I hunched over and started vomiting. 

Wet hand bringing delightful cool to my face, the nape of my neck. The cold air pinching my cheeks, shooting through my nose.

"That's my girl. Let it out."

He encouraged, and thankfully there were no people to witness my shame. With steady arms he kept me standing, and even though I felt a bit weak, I was much better. 

When I moved to look at him, I can see the concern on his face, and I hated just how in the most crucial moments, I was prevented from doing what needed to be done. My guilty consciousness was swelling in my chest, partnered with the inability to understand myself as well. Why haven't I gotten the job done already?

And what is wrong with him? Is he taking a piss? 

I couldn't figure him out at all. Regaining my composure, my anger with it I spoke. 

"What's your deal? "

He pulled back his arms, recognizing my frustration. 

"Why would you allow yourself to be in this situation, and even more, you are finding it amusing? You are toying with me."

"If anyone is toying with anyone, it's you. You are like a cat that is playing with its meal and if anyone is confused by your behavior it's me."

"How do you even know that you are my target?"

"I didn't. I wanted to talk to you about it, to see if you know anything about the situation I was in, but you thought that I was running after you. And the only reason I recognized that you were in the ranks was because of that tattoo. Every now and then, your...colleagues.... would be in our corporation to get the payment. But I suppose, by the way, you were reacting I was your target after all."

"So you just gambled once again ?"

"No. I knew you couldn't do it. Because if you did, you would have the moment you infiltrated my workplace. Besides, I am pretty goddamn sure that there was still some good left in you, seeing you care about those kids. "

Something good in me huh ?  

"Fine," I said and started walking away. 

He moved to stand in front of me. 

"I didn't say that you can go."

I grabbed my hair in frustration. 

"I never asked for your permission?" 

"I need you to tell me everything you know about your ranks. I need to see everything."

"Why would I possibly do that?"

He smirked.

"You would have me in your debt, and not many can say that. Besides..."

"Yeah, yeah I know. You never leave debts unpaid."

"No. What I meant to say was, it means that I get to spend more time with you."

Mischievously he said. 

"You want to spend more time with someone who might kill you?"

"A-a! See, you didn't say you will. You said might."

I rolled my eyes at that. 

"And I thought I was the one with issues."

He raised his shoulders in a playful manner. 

"What can I say, I am full of surprises."

I resisted the eyeroll this time, otherwise, I would truly look like I went insane.

"Before we do that, I need to make a stop," I responded.