Chapter 17

Ace

I gotta hand it to Margaret, she is one hell of a negotiator, even when she doesn't realize it. For all the wit that she would be as good as gone if there wasn't a single truth- she had the opportunity to kill me when we were alone in the alleyway, even as I was walking her home. I had my back turned to her several times, and we were alone. She could have done so after our altercation in the park as well, nothing prevented her to do it. 

Before going to Roxanna at that joyful event, something bugged me about Margaret, and I couldn't put my finger on it. I looked at the nature of her posts, but I was stunned at the revelation.

 Since she got her profile made, she didn't have a single thought posted.

That was simply impossible. Even for me.

Citizens do buy their life each month, but that doesn't mean that Lilith stops gathering their thoughts into the database.

My curiosity getting the better of me, and with full intent on investigating how she does that, I sent her that proposition. If I had known what I know now before meeting with Julius, I would have been smarter about managing my inquisitiveness better.

But, a thought occurred to me, and it all made sense.

I slammed my fist onto the desk in anger.

How didn't I see it before?

The reason why she was so observant, cautious-it was all because he sent her, a capable mole. She could deny it all she wanted, but I was certain of it. Alas, firing her would only raise his suspicion. The only thing I can do now is to find out just how much Alin knows about my virus and keeping his mole closer to me will help me feed false data to him.

"Mr. Mountague?" 

Margaret spoke over the intercom.