Chapter 1: Iris Death

My mom told me that everything in life is unpredictable. Some things can lift you and things that can destroy you. She always reminds me of the value of life, since we only get to live it once. The advice is not something new, but it makes sense, people just need to be reminded of it. That's why I have some regrets because...

I died.

Name. Iris P. Salvatore, Age. 20, Born. November 21, 2002, Death. September 29, 2022. Looking at my beautiful grave with my name on it gives me chills, but it helped me realize that I'm really dead.

Life is indeed short, and since everything has its hourglass, as my mother used to say, people should make the most of it. I wasn't prepared but because everything happened so quickly, darkness took over me in an instant. It was incredibly unfair for me to pass away in that way. But as I reflect on my life, I realize it wasn't easy for me to breathe and live, and in a very short time, I passed away, leaving everyone behind and witnessing others getting over their grief.

That's life, people. That's why people can never be ready when it's our time. When it is your time and you saw yourself die, you can't bring your fortunes with you. We are all the same if we die. We are empty and all our sins flash in our minds and fear will dominate, regret and denying reality.

I know this because it happened to me, but my case is different... let me tell you my story.

Hi! I am Iris Salvatore. A fine art student who majored in visual arts. I am the youngest in our family. I have twin genius brothers and a single mom.

A little drama about our family is that my dad is stupid because he left us for his job. Being married to a scientist is truly a dream come true for mom, but what reality is? He f*cking love his research more than his own family. Sick right? My brothers are, thankfully, the nicest of all. They treasure me and mom like princesses or queens.

They already have a job helping mom with financial stability. They graduated with flying colors in college and got a Ph.D. in meteorology and now working at NASA. Pretty cool right? Well, as you can see, I'm different from my brothers. Let's just say I'm the black sheep.

Anyway, the day before the accident, was pure happiness for me. I spend time with my friends in our 3-day workshop. I didn't regret the time I spend with my family, but of course, there are things that I regret too. I regret not punching my dad in the face, sorry.

<Before the Accident>

A great day indeed it's because the officer of our department conducted a 3-day workshop at the Amira Forest where Art Camp is located. The workshop is about painting techniques, realistic landscapes, realism, and stuff. Only art students and people who are fond of art can relate. I'm expecting that on the last day of this workshop. Art students will be tasked to create a landscape painting about the place.

"Okay, listen up, everyone! Welcome to the Art Camp!" Ms. Claire welcome us with her sweet and cheerful voice.

(college students cheers)

She clapped 3 times to get our attention again and cheerfully introduces herself to us, "My name's Claire Wales and I'm your instructor for this 3-day workshop! As you all know, were not here to have a party and stuff. We're here to finish a project, am I right?"

I know Ms. Claire Wales when I was just a kid. She was quite popular in her teens as a gifted painter in the Philippines. I respect her and of course, I love her pointillism works. It was all a masterpiece for me.

"Yes, Ms." "No party? That's boring! Come on!" "Sheesh," (student's complaining)

As Ms. Clair finished her introduction, a tall brown-haired guy, in his mid-30s, looking stern and pissed I guess? He stands beside Ms. Claire.

"Ahem! Attention here students!" I shut my mouth when I heard his dangerous deep voice.

"Good morning! I am your supervisor, Mr. Cruz, and to inform you all the 4 people behind you are the securities, so yeah you better watch yourself and do nothing stupid, am I clear?" I can't deny the fact that he looks scary because he sounds like a soldier giving us orders.

"Yes, sir!"

"Hey, Iris, you wanna join us?" my friend said secretly.

"Whoa, I smell something here. Join what?"

"11 PM at the river, near the freaking big old Narra tree."

"Alright~, bitch I'll be there," *laughing*

At that moment, I thought it would be a great and unforgettable night for me with my crazy friends. However, it was my last step, breath, and time on Earth. I regretted I stayed for just 10 minutes in that place. Nobody knows that there's a freaking cliff behind that Narra Tree.

That peaceful night ended my life on Earth.

11:05 PM

(Cellphone ringing inside the tent)

(On the phone) "Hey! Where are you? Wake up! Bitch, don't make me wait!"

"Gosh, I'm sorry I fell asleep; I'll be there in a minute."

"You better be, because we're having so much fun here, you don't want to miss this right? Hahaha," (Music in the background)

"Yeah, I'm coming,"

I ended the call and quickly fix myself up. When I was all tidy and looked like a human, with my get-up, I got out of my tent and walk slowly towards the location.

After minutes of walking, I saw the big old Narra Tree, which means I'm near the location. I walked faster because I can already hear music, but I feel strange. It feels like someone is staring at me from behind.

*crack!

I got goosebumps when I heard something.

"Hello? Is someone there?" (wind blowing and rustling bushes and trees)

"Help"

"Hello?"

"If you are pranking me, I swear to God I'll kill you!" ("Help me," whisper)

"Y-You need help? W-where are you?" (slightly trembling voice)

When I heard a voice of a woman, it was near the Narra Tree. It called for help, so I looked for her and slowly take my pace toward the tree.

I could still hear her faint voice, and then I saw her. A woman my age with wavy, gorgeous blonde hair, eyes as blue as the deep sea, and tall with her fair white skin. Damn, she is gorgeous. They dressed her in an ancient Georgian-style historical outfit, which was bizarre. Is she any sort of cosplayer? Anyhow, she was standing behind the tree, looking at me with tears in her eyes.

"H-hey, what happen to you? Are you okay?" I asked.

"Help me"

"Yes, I'm going to help you. Stay where you are. I'm coming to get you, don't be afraid. My name's Iris, what your name?" I slowly get closer to her, not minding the ground that I step in.

"Accept it... this is your destiny." She mutters.

I pause for a moment.

"What?" asked her, but then I heard a crack sound under me.

*CRACK *RUMBLE

"AHHHHHHHHH"

I fell on the cliff! I didn't know that behind the tree was a cliff. Thus, how did that woman stand there when there was no land? And what did she mean about my destiny? Does she mean my death?

F*ck.

-----------------------------------

Hi there! It's me Helianthus Spes, Thank You for reading!

Please Like, Vote, and Follow :)

Follow me on Twitter: HelianthusSpes