Chapter 58

The scene changed showing Harry and Ron walking down the side of Gryffindor table in the great hall. They sat down facing Thea and Hermione, who quieted down when the boys joined them.

Neville, who was sitting next to Thea, turned to the newcomers. "Mail's due any minute, I think Gran's sending a few things I forgot."

The boys had barely started eating when a swarm of owls- all breeds, shapes and sizes- swooped in and started dropping letters and parcels in front of students. A big lumpy package bounced off Neville's head and fell into Hermione's jug, spraying everyone with milk and feathers. Meanwhile, Athie gracefully swooped in front of Thea, placing a parcel in front of her, before resting on her shoulder.

"Errol!" Ron whined as he pulled the bedraggled owl out by the feet. The bird slumped, unconscious, onto the table, a red envelope in his beak. When he saw it, his eyes widened in horror. "Oh, no-" Ron gasped.

"Oh shit!"

Remus noticed how Sirius' face dropped at the sight of the red envelope. He discreetly reached for his hand and felt a squeeze in response.

James looked worriedly at his best friend, knowing that there were some things that always triggered his anxiety when it came to the Black family, and howlers were one of these triggers.

"It's all right, he's still alive," said Hermione, prodding Errol gently with the tip of her finger.  

"It's not that, it's that." Ron was pointing at the red envelope. It looked quite ordinary to Harry, but Ron, Neville and Thea were looking at it as though they expected it to explode.        

"What's the matter?" said Harry.  

"She's- she's sent me a Howler," said Ron faintly.         

"You'd better open it, Ron," said Neville in a timid whisper. "It'll be worse if you don't. My gran sent me one once, and I ignored it and" - he gulped - "it was horrible."

"That's true," Thea assured, "I saw it."

"Your mother really sent him a howler...?" Alice asked Frank hesitantly.

"She sent me one, once," Frank said, shivering at the memory.

"What's a Howler?" Harry asked.

"Open it, it'll all be over in a few minutes-" Neville urged.

Ron reached out and grabbed the letter, taking a deep breath before ripping it open. The letter quickly took the shape of a face and hovered slightly in the air, face to face with Ron.

"Ronald Weasley!" Molly's furious voice rang out, silencing the entire hall. "How dare you steal that car? I am absolutely disgusted! Your father is now facing an inquiry at work and it is entirely your fault! If you step another toe out of line, we'll bring you straight home!" the letter turned to the side, where Ginny was sitting. "Oh, and Ginny, dear, congratulations on making Gryffindor. Your father and I are so proud." The letter proceeded to destroy itself.

The entire hall was silent, and all eyes were on Molly. The redhead woman hid her face in her hands, not liking the excessive attention she was getting.

"Harsh, Molls," Fabian whispered.

"You should have been happy he was safe, but I understand you point of view," Gideon added, seeing his sister's sad face at their brother's words.

The entire hall was silent for a beat before they burst out laughing. Ron's face had turned as red as his hair and he tried desperately to hide his face in his hands. Ginny, on the other hand, rolled her eyes and turned away, embarrassed that she had been dragged into her brother's drama.