Chapter Forty Nine

Začať od začiatku

Suddenly my throat felt dry and when I swallowed it felt like sandpaper. I let go of Alma and turned to Esmeralda. She wiped at her cheek quickly refusing to look at us.

"I just," she looked down again. "I don't want to be here."

"We could all go with you!" Junebug offered. "I don't want to be here if it's not us all."

Alma's eyes lit up.

"Girls, girls, girls." I shook my head. "I would sleep on the floor in my house if it meant you guys could be with me. But I don't have money to pay you."

Alma waved her hand. "Nonsense. We all have hefty savings."

"I couldn't ask you-"

"You're not," Junebug took my hand. "We want to."

I was breathless. "You'd leave all this behind for me?"

All three of them nodded and I finally identified the feeling way deep down inside. This was what love looked like. Love was selfless and all enduring. Love was putting someone else's needs above your own. I was so God damned lucky. I pulled all three of them in for a huge. My girls.

My girls.

"I love you guys."

"We love you too."

***

Ora put my suitcase down and grunted dramatically. I giggled. It really didn't weigh that much. She looked at me and through all her bravado, despite the grin, she looked like she was crumbling from the inside out. Because she was staying and I was not.

"I'm going to miss you." I told her. "Promise you'll call?"

Ora nodded and her lips went up in a smile that didn't reach her eyes. "Of course." she stood quiet for a while. "I'm gonna miss you so much Maia."

My voice cracked. "I know."

It wasn't so much so arrogant but more of a statement. We looked at each other and all the memories came flooding back. The first time we met on the plane and she was eating like there was no tomorrow. The first time she made me sing in front of a crowd. All the secrets we shared. I felt like I was amputating a limb.

We looked at each other then collided, squeezing each other tight in a warm embrace. I started to cry even though I knew I shouldn't have. I was going to miss Ora more than anyone else in the entire world. Ora made me who I am. I've changed so much because of her.

"I love you, you psychotic weirdo."

She laughed through her tears. "I love you too you damn goody goody."

We both pulled away to laugh with each other and I bent down to pick up my suitcase. The palace doors opened up and there was a car waiting for me out front. My dress flared out like blue flames behind me and Ora helped me get my things into the trunk.

I smiled at her and hugged her one last time. I watched her go back up the stairs of the palace and looked at the building. I could've spent my entire life here but I'm not. I'm going home to Carolina the way I should've once my three months were up.

I opened up the car door and stepped inside not looking back. The palace doors shut for the last time and the front doors opened.

"To the airport please." I said.

The driver started easing down the driveway when I reached up for my mother's necklace. I felt like it was her fault. Maybe she cursed me with a horrible love life. I reached for my wrist when I realized something.