Chapter Six

"Like I said," Rosie finished. "No talking. Doctor's orders."

    I sat at the edge of my bed rubbing my shoulders. Ora stood across from me with her arms crossed over her chest and Rosie was cleaning up her work area.

"Try not to get yourself canned again, will you?' Rosie eyed me with a raised eyebrow then continued with her cleaning.

Ora looked at her and squinted a bit. The way a child squints at a foreign object. "I don't really like you."

Rosie flipped her hair and looked up as she folded up some towels and placed them on her cart. "Am I supposed to care?"

    Ora opened her mouth to say something and her lips formed a puckered O. I reached out tocuh her arm and I shook my head. We watched Rosie leave them room and for the first time in what felt like forever Ora and I were alone. She sat down on the bed next to me and I let her hold my hand.

"How are?"

   I shrugged.

    I didn't know how I felt. I've been in the infirmary the past few days. My family was sent away and I didn't even get to say goodbye, I hadn't seen Will, and now I had the whole treason thing hanging over my head. I guess everything just hadn't dawned on me yet. The only thing that assured me that this was real and that it happened was the unbearable pain in my back and the inability to speak. I cried out all my tears already.

  What was there left to do?

"I have to go see Godfrey," she smiled at me. "I could take you back to your room if you'd like?"

    I shook my head frantically.

No!

   After being swarmed and smothered with attention by Tiny and Krystal I needed some alone time. Not to mention the fact that Esmeralda, Junebug, and Alma have not let me out of their sight. The only reason I was able to get them out of the infirmary was by having Rosie order them out rather forcefully.

   I needed time to myself.

"Ok," Ora smiled. "I'll see you later ok?"

I nodded and she left the room.