Chapter Forty

I stepped into the palace carefully expecting be tackled the moment I stepped in, but wasn't. I put my suitcase down and started unbuttoning my coat when I noticed something strange. The palace was so...

Empty.

One of the maids took my things for me and I started venturing the palace. I rubbed my hands on my jeans trying to create warmth, and wondered where everyone was. Still though I was kind of happy.

I felt something fill my heart and it was the greatest feeling in the world. The familiarity of the palace was what I missed the most. The lush Christmas trees lining the hallways, the mistletoe, the holly. The feel of the plush carpet beneath my heels.

I missed the familiarity of things. I'd only just moved into that new house.

I walked down the hallway to my bedroom and stopped in front of my door. It had the same wreath hanging from the front and there were still the little belles dangling from the door knob. I pushed the door open and stepped in. I was wrapped in warmth.

   My room looked exactly the same and I smiled at the sight of my things scattered across the room. My robe, and slippers. My jewelry, perfume, and make up on the vanity. My keepsake box and brush were on the mantle over the fireplace. The familiar scent of roses. The pictures I kept on the night stand. Everything about this room screamed Allie. Everything about this room screamed me. It was mine and it belonged to me.

    It was strange how I felt. I just couldn't explain it.

Someone gasped and I turned around.

I smiled.

"What? No welcome home?"

Esmeralda stood in the doorway with Alma and Junebug behind her. They were holding bed sheets and a broom. Esmeralda smiled tossing the sheets to the side and walked over to embrace me.

"I missed you, smartass"

I laughed. "I missed you too"

Alma squealed. "Group hug!"

 I laughed and Alma and Junebug joined in.

"I missed you guys!"

"We missed you too!" Alma said.

I looked at them. "Do you know where everyone is?"

Esmeralda raised an eyebrow at me and put a hand on her hip. "Honey we're the maids. Do you think we know?"

I looked at her.

"ugh!" she stomped hard on the ground. "Ok fine!"

***

I went to the floor where the main ballroom was and when I turned my head Ora nearly talked me.

"MAIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" She screamed.

"Christ Jesus Ora!" I grunted.

She pulled back to inspect me and she nearly squealed when she saw my hair. "Oh my God!"

I smiled. "Yeah, I know." i said meekly. "Do you like it?"

"Like it? Honey please. Love it. You look like a sex God."

I laughed. Ora must have had a few drinks in her because she smelled like a sugar sweet margarita and was talking a mile a minute. She wore a beautiful sparkling red dress that hugged her figure.

And I was wearing jeans I've had since I was 15.

"Come, come, come!" she squealed.

She pulled me along until we entered the ballroom and I stopped dead in my tracks. The ballroom was...