Chapter Forty Two

The four of us left in the selection stood in a line as Will said good bye to us. Once he was done with one girl she turned around and departed. Krystal was first, then Tiny, and most of us kept our eyes averted not only for sake of privacy but for the sake of not having to see our "boyfriend" intimate with another girl.

Everything was still so damned complicated.

Cecilia was next and I stepped as far away as I could from them. They spoke so quietly and I was glad I couldn't hear anything. They took longer than I wanted to and then she left. It was just Will and I.

It was just Will and I.

"Five days," he told me. "Five days and I'll be back. We're putting off war as long as we can."

I didn't say anything instead I kept my head bowed. I didn't want to get married during a time of war between Illea and whatever countries were getting involved. I heard Adsila talk about it in the halls. She said it could cause another World War. I didn't want a World War. I just wanted a pretty little ring on my finger and to move into a nice cottage and....

And be normal.

Damn princes and their abnormality.

Will walked over to me and took my hands. He lifted my chin with his finger and I bit back any tears that threatened to flow. Why was I crying!?! "What was it that you wanted to tell me before?"

I shook my head.

It didn't matter now.

"It can wait until you get back." I assured him.

He leaned forward and kissed my forehead. "Alright."

"Just don't..." I kicked my feet. "Just don't die OK?"

Will laughed. "I'm pretty sure the plane won't explode."

I punched his shoulder hard. He was too busy laughing to wince at the pain and he pulled me into his arms. I wanted to whither away but his grip was too tight.

"That was an asshole thing to say, Will."

He shrugged. "I thought it was pretty funny."

Tell him you love him.

Just tell him-

"Will-"

He looked at me and before I could finish my sentence the door opened.

"For Christ's sake William can't you keep your hands off the girl for a moment?" Godfrey's smooth accent filled the room.

Will gave him I look. "I had to peel you off of Ora."

Godfrey lifted his chin. "Correction-"

"No." Ora walked in with her eyes looking slightly puffy. "Don't even jackass."

I didn't want to know why Ora looked the way she did, or what kind of conversation she and Godfrey had, all I knew was that I was going to be there for her. I'd always be there for Ora.

Will kissed my cheek. "Five days."

I nodded.

"Five days."

-

-

-

I re-read Allegiant and the Fault in Our Stars recently.

Ok bye.

XOXO Lilly