Chapter Thirty Nine

I gave daddy the tightest squeeze in the entire world. I'd miss him so much but I knew he was going to be alright. I wasn't drowning with guilt for leaving him in Carolina because I wasn't leaving him. He'd be alright and he knew that if he needed anything he came first no matter what and I'd jump on a plane faster than anyone could blink.

"I love you." I said.

He squeezed me tight. "I love you too. And don't come back until there's a ring on that pretty little finger of yours."

I laughed and pulled back to look at him. He smiled and ran his fingers through my short, short, hair and smiled cupping my cheek. "I'm so proud of you."

I laughed. "It's not to my knees but it's definitely at my elbows." I smiled. "I had no idea how much hair weighed!"

Daddy laughed and I went to tell Emilie good bye.

"I love you," she whispered as she hugged me tight. "So does Lez. She's sorry she's so sick."

I laughed. "I love you both. You're my sisters."

She pulled back to look at me and patted my cheek. "Listen to your dad. No ring, no return."

I rolled my eyes and picked up my suitcase.

***

I eased into my seat next to the window and watched as the snowy Carolina disappeared from my window. There's nothing like snow. Nothing like a white Christmas. I went into my bag and dug out my letters. I started a new one because if I didn't entertain myself I'd go mad.

Dear Will,

The world looks so strange from up above. The snow is my favorite and it's a white Christmas here in Carolina! I wish there was snow in Angeles. I'm sure the twins would love it and even Rosie (no matter how grumpy she might seem!)

I'll be home soon and if you're not waiting by the door for me with a million roses I will leave and come back until you get it right. Or, I might just leave and not come back. I have a nice home in Carolina now too so nothing's holding me back!

Just kidding.

Or am I?

Alessa