Prologue

The shrieking sound of curtains being yanked open startled Will awake. Groggily he rubbed his eyes and his mother came into view as she pulled back the canopy curtains over his bed.

"Bloody hell, mother!" he groaned. "If the sun's not up then nor should I!"

"Will."

   Will leaned over in bed to check his clock. It wasn't even 8 yet. Clearly annoyed he fell back into his bed on his elbows and gave his mother a pointed look.

"I'm exhausted do you mind?"

   Will feared for the worst and that fear kept him up late last night. He feared he had angered Alessa in some way. When he went to find her last night some had said they saw her leave. He went to her room and her door was locked and she didn't answer. The lights were off and Will took that as a sign that she needed to be alone.

"Sweetheart you need to get up and get dressed." she commanded but her voice was much softer than usual.

He groaned dramatically and rolled over in bed. "I'm off the clock until 10:30. As of now I am not the Prince of Illea. I'm Will a very whiny and tired teenager."

"William!" she said sternly and ripped the covers off the bed. "Now."

  Will shot up ready to kick her out of his room when he noticed the clothes in her hand. They were all completely black.

Completely.

He frowned at her. "Mother has something happened?"

She stroked the clothes in her hands and didn't meet his eye. "Say nothing. Just dress and I will meet you within a half hour near my office."

    With that said Will's servants came in ready to prep him for a day he was unsure of. They all wore black as well and their somber faces sent the alarms off in Will's head. His mother left without uttering another word and he flew out of bed, determined to find out what was happening. He got ready in haste but his workers insisted he slow down and look his best. Will was perplexed.

He had no idea what later on would hold.