090. field trip

Dean and Billy are eating sandwiches in the kitchen and Cas walks in.

"Oh. Thought you, uh, were gonna sleep until the cows dragged you home." Cas says to Dean.

"That's not the-- never mind." Dean says. "I was putting some gear away, and Rowena called."

"How is she?" Cas asks.

"Not great. She's coping. But, uh, you know, at least she's not dead." Dean says. "How's the kid?" Dean asks the angel.

" Well, he says he's good, but..." Cas shakes his head. "How're Sam and Daphne?" Cas asks.

"Ah, new motto -- "I'm fine."" Billy says.

"He says he's good." Dean says. "I think they're all full of shit."

"Found us a case. Arkansas." Sam walks in with his tablet.

"We've just done three back to back hunts. I need some rest. At least a night. We all do." Dean states, pointing between him, Sam, and Billy.

"Yeah, well, I'm leaving in ten." Sam walks out.

"Like I said, not good." Dean says.

"Maybe I should go with him. And you can stay with Jack." Cas says.

"Why?" Dean asks.

"You were right. Jack is struggling. And I've tried, but--"

"Why do you think he'll talk to me?"

"Well, because he looks up to you. And his soul -- I mean, you've seen this before."

"No, no. No. See, I was-- I was not great with Sam, you know, when he was, uh..."

"But Jack's soul isn't completely gone. At least I don't think so. W-We just don't know how much is left."

"Well, how am I supposed to figure that out?"

"I don't know. Just talk to him. Get him to open up. And then sleep until the cows come home."

"There it is. That's the saying." Dean says. He looks over at Billy. "What are you gonna do?"

"I don't know. Daphne won't talk and honestly the more I push her or coddle her, the more she's gonna ice me out, so..." Billy says.

"I thought she liked being coddled." Dean says.

"Not anymore." Billy sighs. "She's changing so much, I'm having trouble keeping up."

"Yeah, I get it. Especially since you missed a year." Dean says.

"I just wish I could fix her." Billy weakly chuckles even though there's no humor in it. "I don't know. Do something. Take-- take her pain away."

"Me, too." Dean mutters. "But... since we can't do that, guess we're just gonna have to... be here when she does wanna be coddled."

+++

Billy walks into Daphne's room.

"Hey. Uh, Jack, Dean, and I are going on a little, um... field trip thing. Do you wanna go?" Billy asks.

"No." Daphne answers, not looking away from the TV.

"C'mon, Daph. It-- maybe it'd do you some good to get out of the bunker. You know, get some sun, see some people." Billy says.

"The only person I wanna see is dead, Billy. So, no, I'm not going. But have fun." Daphne says.

Billy frowns, quietly sighing, his heart aching at not being able to get through to her.

"Call one of us if you need anything." Billy tells her. Daphne waves him off and he leaves, going to where Dean is in the kitchen.

"So?" Dean asks.