Chapter 72

-mid-December-
-Skylar is now 30 weeks-
~Skylar's POV~
Daniel and I are heading into work at 9am because we just had a baby appointment. We were hoping we would have some good news. But it was anything but that. We were told that our daughter's heart irregularity has worsened. And Dr. Collins spent 20 minutes trying to convince us to just terminate the pregnancy.

Daniel and I were both arguing saying no. We tried for 8 months before we could conceive. And we're so close to the end to just... give up on her? No. She's a fighter, I know she is. Every little kick. Every little strong kick I get to the ribs tells me she's a fighter. I feel like she trying to tell me to not give up on her.

We pulled up to the district and we both stayed in the car. I was quiet and so was Daniel. I had tears falling down my face, but I had my face facing the window and now him. Just thinking about the appointment.

No one knows anything about this.
No one at work, Maxx, or even David and Lia, even though we said we would ask him his opinion, we just have so much on our hands right now.

Daniel and I have done our best to try and keep everything under wraps from everyone. And I think we've done a good job. But we can tell Maxx is starting to realize something's off. And I know that people from work are probably the same way.

My thoughts were interrupted by Daniel putting his hand on my thigh. I looked at him.
"Are you ready to go in?" He quietly asked me.
I paused for a second, but then nodded my head.
As we were getting out, I stopped Daniel.

"What did- what did Dr. Collins pull you out of the room for?" I asked Daniel.
He stopped briefly before he spoke.
"Don't-... don't worry about that for now... we can.. discuss that later." he told me.
I didn't say anything except nodded my head.

I had a feeling what he was going to say wasn't going to be good and quite frankly, I don't think I could take any more bad news right now if I want to walk upstairs like everything's fine.

We finally got out of the car, got our bags, and went upstairs. When we got up, everyone was talking.
Daniel and I were able to slip by everyone and head to the locker room. We put our bags in our lockers and I sat on the bench. Daniel sat down next to me.

"Are you sure you want to work right now?" He asked me.
I nodded my head.
My original plan was to work until 30 weeks, now, I'm thinking about going longer because it helps me keep my mind off of everything.

"Yea, it keeps me busy." I said.
He nodded his head. Then we got both up and went back into the main area.
I sat at my desk.
"Hey Skylar. How's things?" She asked me.

"Good. How about you?" I faked a smile as I turned on my computer.
"Can't complain. How's little bug?" She asked me.
"She's good." I faked another smile and had my hand on my stomach.

"How far along are you now?" She asked me.
"30 weeks." I said.
"Wow already? I thought you say you wanted to stop working by 30 weeks?" She asked me.
I hesitated before I spoke.

"I did, but I just figured I'd work for a bit longer. It's only a desk job and it keeps me busy. I'm pretty sure I'd be really bored at home by myself." I explained.
"Huh, yea... you're right. You like to stay busy." She said.

-few hours later-
I was in the lounge room getting some coffee.
Then I heard someone, come in, but I didn't check who.
"I though the doctor said no more caffeine?" I felt Daniel brush up against me.

I laughed and turned around with the mug in my hand.
"Relax, it's decaf." I told him.
I saw he was dressed in his gear.
"What's going on? Where are you going?" I asked him.
"We gotta go to this scene. We're taking Liz too, we need all the help." He told me.

"What's going on? What's happening?" I asked him.
"You know the guys we've been looking for?" He asked me.
"Yea, what about them?" I asked him.
"We got a tip about a location they might be at. So we're all going." He told me.
"Let me come." I told him.

"Are you insane?" He asked me.
"Not on the field. Just... in the car." I said.
"Babe, you know that you can't." Daniel told me, putting his hand on my stomach.
"Come on, I'd be more stressed staying here and wondering if you're ok." I told him.

He gave me a look and I gave him one right back. Then he finally nodded his head.
"Fine. But the second you get out of that car and endanger yourself, I'm making my father take you off of work." He told me.
"Deal." I said, giving a little smile.

We went down to a vehicle.
Daniel and I were driving now.
Once we got to the scene, there were a ton of cops everywhere.
"Maybe I shouldn't have brought you..." Daniel said as he was getting his gun loaded.
"Babe relax. I'll be fine. What's gonna happen to me?" I asked him.

He looked at him like "really?"
"Ok, but, I'll be fine." I told him.
"Just, stay low." He told me.
"I'm 7 and a half months pregnant, and besides, the windows are tinted. They can't see in here." I said.
Everyone was getting out of the vehicles and getting set up.

Daniel was getting out but I grabbed his hand.
"Be careful in there.." I told him. I pulled him in and kissed him.
Once we pulled away. He looked at me and smiled.
"Don't worry, I'll be right back." He said.
He put his hand on my cheek and smiled.

Then he got out. I watched him go with the rest of our crew and they were talking. There was a ton of police officers and vehicles they were all pointing at this building. It looked abandoned. We've been working on this case trying to find these two guys involved into a money laundering scheme. And this abandoned building does seem like a good place to hide whatever they were doing.

All of a sudden I turn my attention back to our team and they started looking like they were getting in position. I saw that they were all going in.

"Oh god baby, please be ok..." I whispered under my breath as he went in.
You could barely hear anything in the car. I looked over and saw my radio. I almost never have it now because I'm just at a desk now. I turned on the radio and tuned into our channel so I could hear everything.

It was all unclear and mumbles so I couldn't hear too much.
"Daniel, you find anything yet?" I heard someone ask.
"Negative." I heard Daniel's voice.
I kept trying to listen to the radio, but everything kept cutting out.

Then I heard gun shots. I looked at the building and there were some windows being broken.
"Shots fired. I repeat, shots fired." I heard another voice.
My body was shaking. I was looking at the building and all the cops starting to discuss on what to do. And the kept the radio close to hear it.

"Mayday, mayday, officer down! Officer down! We need an ambulance!" I heard the radio.
My body went cold. Everything around me just stopped.
"Come on, no, no please..." I whispered, praying it wasn't Daniel.

All of a sudden 2 guys ran out of the building, the two guys we've been looking for. Other officers got them and they were arrested. But I was still looking at the building, wondering and hoping that it's not Daniel.

Maybe 2 minutes later an ambulance pulled in. The paramedics got the stretcher out.
Then I saw some people bring out a body. Each of them holding a limb. And once I saw the body, I knew.

🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻