Chapter 22

~Skylar's POV~
I was taking some deep breaths as I was walking down the hallway to the elevator. I was wiping my tears as I was starting to cry, remembering everything.

Then I heard some walking behind me right when I got to the elevators, waiting for them to open.
"Wait, Sky." I heard Daniel's voice.
I turned around and saw him there, he saw that I was crying.

"Are you ok?" He asked me.
I looked at him and just shrugged my shoulders.
"I don't know..." I said.
"I can drive you home if you want. I don't think you bc be driving like this. I don't even have to stay here, I'm not even on shift today." He said.

I just nodded my head.
I gave him my car keys and we went down to my car. I was sort of shaking a bit and still teary eyed.
"Did you eat breakfast?" He asked me as he turned on the car.
I looked at him.
"What?" I asked him.
"Did you eat breakfast?" He asked me again.

"Oh, um... yea, I had like... an apple..." I said.
"Well, then let's get you some breakfast." He said.
"What? No, it's ok. I don't even have any cash or money on me-" I said, but he stopped me.
"Who said you were paying? Come on, my treat since you really helped us." He said.

My brain told me I shouldn't. I know I shouldn't be with him. But I wanted to just have one last day with him.
"Ok, yea sure... thanks." I smiled.
He smiled and nodded his head.
"Where do you wanna go?" He asked me.

"I don't care where. You know that." I chuckled.
He laughed and drove the car to my favorite breakfast place we would go to when we dated.
I looked at him and laughed.

We got out of the car and went inside.
We sat down at a table.
"Thanks for helping us today. We honestly were at the ends of our rope for trying to get her tell us anything. My father wanted to just drop the case all together and just forget about it." Daniel said.

"Yea of course, it was just a little... difficult..." I said. Looking down at the table and wiping the tears that were starting to form in my eyes.
He put his hand on my arm and rubbed it.
I looked up at him.

"Yea... I know... I'm sorry, I shouldn't have put you through that-" he was saying, but I stopped him.
"No, no it's ok... I'm happy that I helped you... it's just hard to relive those memories again." I said.

We talked basically the whole time. When we were done, he took me back to my apartment.
"I'll order an Uber back to my place." He said as we walked into the lobby of my building.

"Actually... do you mind coming upstairs with me? I actually have some stuff to give you..." I said, which was true, he left some flannel, hoodies, and hats at my place and I haven't given them back to him yet.

"Yea sure." He said.
We went upstairs.
"Let me get you you're stuff." I said, going to the laundry room. He stayed in the kitchen.
I grabbed his stuff and teared up looking at everything.

This is it, this is goodbye. Or is it? Does it have to be?
I went back out and wiped my tears.
"Ok so, this is two of your flannels, a hoodie, and a hat that you left. I washed everything for you." I explained.

"Thanks... I was wondering where these were." He chuckled.
I laughed too.
He put the stuff on the counter and looked at me.

I looked into his gorgeous green eyes and just hugged him. I buried my face in his chest and felt so relieved and relaxing in his arms. He wrapped his arms around me and everything felt right again in the world. I felt safe and pleased once more.

We stayed like that for about a minute. Just in each other's arms. But then I started crying, I forgot how much I missed this. His warm embrace, the way I just felt so safe.
"What's wrong? You ok?" Daniel rubbed my back and asked me.

I shrugged my shoulders and just sniffled.
"I don't... I don't know..." I said.
"Shh... it's ok..." he whispered and stroked my hair.
"I was wrong..." I said.

He pulled away and looked confused.
"What, what do you mean?" He asked me.
I took a deep breath.
"I was wrong... about us... I miss this... I miss you..." I said.

I kept on talking.
"Every damn night I stay up for at least 2 hours wondering if I made the right choice... convincing myself it was the right decision. But these last 2 weeks have been hell without you... I've tried rewriting hundreds of times... but if it doesn't involve you... it's just a lie... you make my life a thousand times better. You are my reason for living... yes your job is dangerous... but I grew up surrounded by danger... I have to understand... I love you, Daniel..." I told him.

I think he was just taken aback by everything I just said. It took him about 15 seconds before he carefully grabbed my chin and kissed me.
"I've felt the same way... Sky, I love you. I wanna spend the rest of my life with you..." he told me.
I smiled up at him with tears rolling down my face, running my fingers through his hair.

He kissed me again and picked me up. I laughed as he picked me up and put me on the kitchen counter. Just now I was just above eye level with him.

We kissed more passionately as I started to take off my jacket...

🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻